A guide to the Live Chat/IRC 2.0 | anilist.moe:6667

aabir
Quickjoin on irc.anilist.cohttp://irc.anilist.co Channel may be quiet at times but say hello and stick around. IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat its pretty much what it says on the tin its a client/server based chat. Now there are plenty of ways to access it easiest being clicking on the live chat button on the sidebar. That link takes you to the webchat it works but if you want to use the irc properly and to its full use you might want to get a client like Hexchat or Limechat Ill cover this in the Installation section Now you might think that getting a different client on your PC for just one chat is kinda overkill but think about it this way You are getting a pen. A pen is useless if you dont know how to write but in the hands of someone who can use it properly its all the worlds wisdom. Similarly the IRC is as limited as you want it to be There are tons of networks on the irc which can be very useful. But of course before you do that you need to have a firm grasp on the basics and thats what this guide is for note I only use Hexchat so everything in here is based around it. Commands are the same across all the clients though Installation and basic setup Okay so first you will need to download the client. I suggest using Hexchathttp://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html on windows. xChat is good on linux but paid on Windows but it shares the same interface as Hexchat. Once you are done installing whatever client you want install the dictionary plugin for HexChat if your English is weak it will autocorrect you you will want to join a channel. For the purpose of this tutorial Ill be joining Anilist All channels are represented as channelname 1 You need to select the network that the channel is on. In the case of Anilist its on AniMoe which needs to be set up so you click the Add rename the network so its easy to find double click type in what you want and press enter Now we need to tell it what to connect to so open up this or press Ctrl+S. This should open up the window you saw earlier. You first check skip network list on startup. Now you select this new network and click on the Edit button. This should open up a fairly intimidating window. Dont mess with stuff here unless you know what you are doing. Here you want to type in irc.anilist.moe/6667 in the server field so it looks like this Check Connect to this network automatically so that every time you open hexchat it automatically connects you to Animoe. Before we close this though click on the quotAutojoin channelsquot tab above hit quotAddquot and type in quotAnilistquot hit enter now or it will not save. Now close it. You are done now every time hexchat opens it will automatically drop you in Anilist. You can add other channels the same way. 2Before you join though enter a nickname and a username. This should popup 3 Select the Nothing option like I did and uncheck the always show this dialog The network will automatically put you in the Anilist channel if you want to join another channel do /join channelname. A guide to the interface On hexchat your interface should look like this Open the image in a new tab for a better view. Anyways most of it is selfexplanatory but Ill describe them anyways. 1 This is the title bar it mentions what network Im connected to and what channel Note In my example it says quotRizonBNCquot instead of quotAnimoequot. Just ignore this anomaly for now. 2 This is the network Im connected to if its blue that means the network sent me a mostly useless message that Im yet to see. Note that even though it says rizon in the screenshot it should say AniMoe for you. 3 These are the channels Im in. I can click on one and I will switch to it. If the channel name is orange that means a user wrote something that I havent read. switching to that channel will mark that message as quotreadquot. If the name of the channel is blue then that means a user quit/join and you are yet to view it. If its green like in then that means someone mentioned your username In my case aabir. This is referred to as quotHighlightingquot or quotPingingquot. It will also make a little beep sound when it happens. 4 This is the time the user wrote the corresponding message. It uses your computers time so it always shows local time. 5 This is the name of the user that wrote the message. In the case of a fresh installation the names will all be black. To see how to apply colors view the FAQ at the end of this post. 6 This is your text bar you type stuff it comes out on the other side. 7 This is the name you are posting from. If you have extra access then it will be shown like where the color of the circle depending upon your access level more on this in the beginner section. If you click your name you can change it you can also just type /nick newnickhere. 8 This is the quotTopicquot of the channel. Its supposed to show what topic should be discussed but no one really uses it like that. Its mostly shitposting from mods so ignore it if you want to. 9 That guy is lemon. But you will notice he has a circle thingy next to his name the color of the circle shows his access level. a cyan circle means quothalfoperatorquot level of access. I will discuss this more in the beginner section. but if you want it plain and simple that guy can kick you out of the channel if he wants to. 10 As you can see this guys name is greyed out. That means that is marked as quotawayquot. It serves little purpose other than notifies you that the person is not on his PC right now and probably wont answer if you message him. 11 That is AniBot. Or well was. As of this update AniBot is dead and has been replaced by Removedhttp://anilist.co/user/Removed. Its list of commands are a aniradio bestgirl bestguy defendground doc fuckingdinner g i isup join managerss osf part quit reload startrss stats tr tr2 waifu. Bot commands are triggered by using a . before the command. So to use fuckingdinner you need to type in .fuckingdinner 12 That is a normal user. 13 The bar mentions your latency if you hover over it. If the lag crosses 30+ secs then that usually means your internet is down and you will be disconnected any moment. It serves no other purpose. The bar below it is the network send queue. If you send a lot of text at once it will be sent in bursts as opposed to all at once that bar fills up and slowly comes down as more of your stuff gets posted. It wont be used unless you post paragraphs worth of stuff in which case you will probably be kicked for flooding the channel anyways. 14 and 15 14 is a quit message and 15 is a join message it notifies you that the certain user has joined. An advanced beginners tutorial This part is ONLY for people who want to be regulars you do NOT need this stuff if you are just there for a chat. Registration Okay now that you have had a taste of the IRC you would probably want to have a username right? quotBut aabirsensei Im already using a namequot you say. Yes you are but the name doesnt belong to you yet. Someone else can use it whenever he/she wants. So you need to register your nickname. First thing you do is join AniMoe with whatever nickname you want to register. For the purpose of this tutorial I will be using the name quotloliquot with the password being quotujellyquot with the email address being kizunever.com I find this more intuitive than yournamehere yourpasshere So to register I join Animoe with the name quotloliquot and then type in /msg NickServ REGISTER ujelly kizunever.com Note instead of typing out /msg NickServ you can type in just /ns and it will do the same thing so with that you will need to type in /ns REGISTER ujelly kizunever.com And done See that wasnt too hard now was it? You can use the nickname as it is but using /ns identify ujelly Will authenticate you as the user. This is useful if you hold access in a channel or just want yourself logged in note not identifying for three months leads to nickserv dropping your name so it will be unregistered if you dont log in frequently But who wants to type that command every time you connect right? So we use the Network list again. Ctrl+S will bring it forth See the installation section now you go to Anilist The new network click edit and drop down the quotlogin methodquot. Choose NickServ /msg Nickserv + password and then type in your password below that now it automatically does your identifying for you If you are the paranoid type you can ask NickServ to autokill the nick if the user using it hasnt identified to prevent imposters while you are not using the nick. While identified to your nick type in /ns SET KILL ON and NickServ will autorename unidentified users on your nick after 60 seconds. Use this command in conjunction with autoidentify or this becomes a headache really fast. Now lets say that you didnt set the kill command on the nick or you are just too lazy to wait out the 30 secs and someone else is using your nick . What do you do now? Thats where the ghost command comes in. Ghost is a command that gets a nick killed by the nickserv. Basically you can ghost your own nick by typing /ns ghost loli ujelly As soon as you do it the nickserv will kill whatever person is using the quotloliquot nickname and now you can use the nick again. It requires you to use the password so no one else can ghost the original owner of the nick. Also if your internet disconnects then your nick doesnt automatically disconnect and hangs around until an eventual timeout. You can use ghost to speed up this process. Note Right now AniMoe does NOT support GHOST the command RECOVER can be used to the same effect this will be fixed in the future. But its a double edged sword. If you miss an identify command say you forgot to put the / in front of the command you give away the password and then get ghosted to hell and back. Thats where password recovery comes in. Passwords We all have problems with our passwords. We forget them change them and forget them or you know forget them. So what do you do when the inevitable happens? You recover it. Its fairly simple actually. /ns RESETPASS nick This will send a mail with a passcode say 2edgy5u to whatever email you gave it when you registered. Once you have it type in /ns ENTERCODE 2edgy5u This will prompt NickServ to give you a temporary password using which you identify to your nickname. Then you change your password with a /ns SET PASSWORD passhere Note Password here is not a field passhere is. Nicknames Lets say you go with the name quotloliquot but also identify to quotjailbaitquot what do you do then? Just join Animoe as quotjailbaitquot and type in /ns GROUP loli ujelly Now jailbait is also linked to your name so if you have some extra access on a certain channel then it will transfer over to your quotjailbaitquot nick too. Ill start with quotaccessquot and quotoperatorsquot in the next section. Operators Operators are guys with access. Higher access means they can do shit people with lower access cant. For example a normal user cant kick or ban anybody but the guys with circles in front of their names can with the exception of voice. this is the hierarchy of the colors The one at the left side blue are voices +v. They have little to no power and just mess around. If you get +v you can speak when the channel is muted and use colour codes Control codes are not allowed on Anilist so Ill not cover them The cyan represents halfoperator status. Half operators are usually moderators who can kick ban change channel topic and stuff. Their powers vary from channel to channel on Anilist they have lots. All the moderators hold +h. The green is the operator +o it has some more perks. The yellow are protected +a and the orange is owner +q these are inconsequential to this guide. Think of them as crazy powerful. Well thats what the access users are everyone who holds any power in the channel is usually a moderator on the forums so you can be guaranteed that you wont be unjustly banned or kicked. That concludes this section. Thats all you really need to know. Some extra stuff in the FAQ but this is pretty much it. FAQ Q1 I want to talk to a certain user and him only what do I do? You use the query command. Simply type /query personyouwanttotalkto and it will open a nifty little window for you in which you can talk to that user only. Q2 I want my words to be BOLD what do I do? On Anilist? Not much. Anilist doesnt quite support control codes. But if its on a channel that does then press Ctrl+b and then type out what ever you want. Press Ctrl + B again to stop using bold. Q3 I want colorful names Like you had in that interface guide Go to setting gt preferences Select appearance and check colored nicknames Q4 I got kicked What do I do? You can rejoin and apologize for whatever you did wrong that always works. Q5 It says Im banned What now?? Well you can query the person who banned you and apologize. Other than that there are ways to get past a ban but Im not telling you that besides as soon as you evade you will get banned again anyways Q6 I got banned Does that mean Im banned on Anilist too? No it doesnt. Though it might be if you fucked up big time but overall Anilist and Anilist are totally different things. Q7 I want a cooler mask to my IP What do I do? Get a vhost A vhost is a virtual host that masks your IP from other users. The network staff will still be able to see your IP but normal users cant. To get one type in /msg HostServ REQUEST what.ever.you.want Yes those dots are necessary. Once its approved by staff can take time you can type /msg HostServ ON and voila My vhost here is quotfilthy.casualsquot Q8 I want to know more about a user What do I do? A /whois command is usually helpful. It displays all the information that a user has supplied. /whois nick here For example a whois command on my alternate name Akachi brings back Note Digging around for user information is a punishable offense on Anilist. You will be banned if you cross the line. Q9 This guys just quit/left and instead of quotUser has quit quitquot It showed a message how do I do this? Go to settings gt preferences gt General and type in whatever you want. Mess around in the preferences most things can just be figured out by digging around. Q10 I hate having to type out full names. Any way to circumvent this? Yes Hit tab after typing some part of the name. For example if you type aa and hit tab it will autocomplete to aabir. If there is another guy in the channel with aa say quotaabirquot you can hit tab repeatedly to cycle through the autocomplete. IRC Etiquette I know freedom of speech and all that but there should still be some decorum to be held and some lines that must be drawn. Doing any of the following usually results in a kick from any moderator. 1 Doxxing I already covered this in the FAQ but dont try to get any information on any user that they havent willingly supplied. EVER. 2 Spoilers There are people that havent watched the same things you have. So dont say anything spoilery on the channel since a lot of people even if they dont actively post read the chat and you might ruin their experience. 3 Spamming Dont repeatedly post stuff or write one word per line. Also dont write twothree paragraph long replies. 4 Use English We all know EnUK is better but we also tolerate EnUS. Other languages are nono. 5 Advertisement No no and no. Should be kinda obvious why. 6 No shock sites Meatspin and shit are no no. Shock in terms of HEYYEAHYEAYA is fine. 7 Mark NSFW as such If you are going to post NSFW just write NSFW in front of it and everything will be fine. 8 Slapping other users is frowned upon. and most importantly dont be an arse and be polite. Arguments are fine as long as its not shitflinging and namecalling. Have fun I guess. If you have any suggestions leave them in the comments and if you have any problems or if I fucked up somewhere do mention it. Thanks to lemonhttp://anilist.co/user/Lemon for getting me the old threads contents and another big thanks to Imperfectionist http://anilist.co/user/Imperfectionistfor helping me fix the guide after the network switch.. Sorry if some code is messed up Im terrible at markdown.
32 Replies