Top 10 Action Manga of 2008
1. Honto Yajuu
Ueda Tomoharu is a cop manning a local koban station, and he's quite happy with his job and relatively quiet life until he happens to run into yakuza member Gotouda Aki while chasing down an underwear thief... and is suddenly confessed to! Aki doesn't seem bothered in the least about their ~star-crossed lovers~ status and eagerly dives into a super lovey-dovey relationship with his policeman, but Ueda's about to find out just how dangerous it can be dating a mobster... in more ways than one.
2. Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Rikuo grew up in a house full of yokai, so he always thought they were cool. But the kids in his class talk about yokai like they're bad! When his grandfather announces Rikuo as his chosen heir to run the Nura clan, Rikuo is torn between his human nature and his duties as a yokai. The rest of the clan's not so crazy about a wimpy part-human as their ruler, particularly Gagoze, a high-ranking yokai who would rather eat a human than be ruled by one.
Nai searches for someone important to him, with only an abandoned bracelet as a clue. Gareki steals and pick-pockets to get by from day to day. The two meet in a strange mansion where they are set-up, and soon become wanted criminals by military security operatives. When Nai and Gareki find themselves desperate in a hopeless predicament, they encounter none other than the country's most powerful defense organization—"Circus"!!
In a world where the taste and texture of food are an extremely important part of life, a man with superhuman skills is regularly hired by restaurants and the rich as a hunter of precious foods. With the "help" of his timid accomplice, inspired by Toriko's greatness to accompany him, he travels to capture the evasive and ferocious animals he needs to create the ultimate dinner course.
[Written by MAL Rewrite]
5. Shaman King (Kanzenban Edition)
Shaman King (Kanzenban Edition) is a reprint of the original Shaman King series but with differences including the addition of new chapters (which changes the chapter numbering). The releases also included 16 special bonus chapters called "Shaman King Remix Track."
Note: This entry will only contain the extra chapters included in this edition.
Chapters 286 onwards were published in Jump SQ.
The following chapters are featured only in the kanzenban volumes, which do not contain the original chapter 285. The additional chapters 265–6 are collected in volume 24, renumbering all subsequent chapters of the series. Chapters 287–91 are in volume 26 and chapters 292–300 in volume 27.
-Reincarnation 265. Aku no Shoutai (悪の正体, Evil's True Form)
-Reincarnation 266. Shinjitsu no Seigi (真実の正義, The Real Justice)
-Reincarnation 287. Good Morning Mu Tairiku (グッドモーニング ムー大陸, Good Morning Mu Continent)
-Reincarnation 288. Falling Dam-ko (フォーリンダム子)
-Reincarnation 289. Invisible Jurin (インビジブルジュリーン, Invisible Jungle)
-Reincarnation 290. Neko wa Sabishii Hito ni Natsuku (猫は寂しい人間〈ひと〉になつく, Cats Are Attached to Sad People)
-Reincarnation 291. Nikume Nichrome Samonakuba Ore wa Taoren (憎めニクロム さもなくば俺は倒れん Hate Me, Nichrome, Otherwise I Won't Lose)
-Reincarnation 292. Dokonjou Mame no Ki (ど根性豆の木, The Gutsy Beanstalk)
-Reincarnation 293. Kaze no Shinka (風の真価, The Real Value of Wind)
-Reincarnation 294. Last Test Shaman Fight
-Reincarnation 295. Yume no Ato (夢のあと, After the Dream)
-Reincarnation 296. Patch to no Souguu (パッチとの遭遇, Encounter With the Patch)
-Reincarnation 297-299. Shaman King: God End (シャーマンキング God End)
-Reincarnation 300. The Last Words
Compilation of short stories:
1. Hotel: Since 2079 [2006's Morning #25]: It is the year 2272 A.D. A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.
(Released: Jun 1, 2006)
2. Present [2007's Morning #2-3]: Hanako suffers from a terrible disease. After awakening from a deep slumber, Hanako has only three days to live. Set in the future, Present tells a story based on human feelings where the truth isn’t always what it seems.
3. Subete wa Maguro no Tame datta (It Was All for the Tuna) [2008's Morning #31]: Tuna have become extinct and Jun Shiozaki will do everything possible and imaginable to bring them back.
(Released: Jul 17, 2008)
4. Stephanos [2007 Mandala Vol. 1]: Set in modern-day Japan, our main character Noriko finds out that she is pregnant with her lover Matsumura’s baby. He, however, is an important doctor with a family and everything already. Noriko wants to have the baby, but Matsumura says that it’s actually a rapidly growing cancer and that they have to remove it immediately. It might also be neither of these things…
5. Diadem [2008 Mandala Vol. 2]: A "Diadem" is a word for 'crown' that has its root in Greek. "Stephanos", which appeared in "Mandala" 01, was also a 'crown'. It seems that we could consider this the second work in a continuing series of shorts that should perhaps be called a "Crown series
(Source: MangaUpdates and Boichi)
7. Cage of Eden
Danger and action abound after Akira Sengoku and his classmates crash-land on a deserted island while flying home from a class trip. The island doesn't exist on any maps but that's not even the strangest part: the animals they find on the island are prehistoric beasts that are supposed to have been extinct for thousands of years! Now Akira and his friends are in danger as the island's residents start eyeing the humans for their next meal. Will they ever solve the mystery of the island and find their way home?
(Source: Kodansha Comics)
Ishidou Natsuo is a gifted girl who can achieve anything she wants in sports. Because of this she is permanently bored, as there aren’t any real challenges to her abilites to make her feel alive. One day she receives an invitation of a merry girl to join her martial arts club. Irritated by her happy expression, Natsuo decides to accept the invitation just as a pretext to beat her up, but she receives a shocking surprise.
9. Dream Eater Merry
Ten years ago Fujiwara noticed he had a power to see multicolored auras surrounding people's bodies. Ever since then he's been having a weird dream about a war with cats. One day he meets a mysterious girl, that, after being picked on by crows and fallen from a tree, goes to search for her lost hat. Later that day, Fujiwara finds himself in a daydream, being attacked by the same cats he fights at night.
10. Shut Hell
Beginning of the 13th century.
In the days of old existed a woman warrior named [Shut Hell], the Evil One, feared even by the Mongols, said to be the strongest army in history.
At first, she was just a normal Tangut's soldier frightened by the mongol threat, but after coming close to death so many times, she found in herself a superhuman strength.
On the other side, a young mongol prince, Yurul, is fascinated by the Tangut's, his enemies' writings, and is worried for the future....