Top 10 Fantasy Manga of 2008
1. The World God Only Knows
Katsuragi Keima is known on the net as the god of getting the girls while in real life he’s known as otamegane and he hates all real girls. However he is approached by Elsie, a devil from hell, to help her in catching runaway spirits that hide in people. Apparently the spirits only hide in the hearts of girls and the only way to get the souls out is by making the girl fall in love so the spirit gets forced out. And he’s not allowed to fail or he will lose his head.
2. Kamisama Kiss
Nanami Momozono is alone and homeless after her dad skips town to evade his gambling debts and the debt collectors kick her out of her apartment. So when a man she's just saved from a dog offers her his home, she jumps at the opportunity. But it turns out that his place is a shrine, and Nanami has unwittingly taken over his job as a local deity!
Nanami has all kinda of new responsibilities she doesn't understand, dangers she's unaware of, and a cranky ex-familiar who's...actually pretty hot. What's a new-fledged godling to do?
3. Ran and the Gray World
Meet the Urumas, a slightly dysfunctional family of four sorcerers. Mom, being the most powerful sorceress around, works away from home keeping the world safe. Dad picks up the slack and takes care of the family. Except when he's out, which is when the older brother Jin finds himself in the unenviable position of keeping tabs on his sister Ran. And Ran, the youngest, is a willful girl with too much power and too little wisdom. Let's take a look at Ran's everyday misadventures, shall we?
(Source: Storm in Heaven)
Includes 6 extra chapters:
Volume 3: 今日もやります梅ももさくら
Volume 4: マジカルドクター別珍先生、黒羽泰の今日のお仕事
Volume 5: 少女たちの水玉お風呂タイム
Volume 7: 静のあのころさすらい道中記、みんなの日比くんむここのあらず
4. Good Luck Girl!
Sakura Ichiko is a 16 year old girl who leads a charmed life and is blessed with beauty, brains, and health. She has an abundance of “Happiness Energy”, which can make people happy, but at the cost of absorbing all the “Happiness Energy” from her surroundings. She has caused the energy balance of the world to become unbalanced and because of this, she becomes the target of a Poverty God named Momiji. Momiji goal is to remove Ichiko’s power of absorbing other people’s Happiness Energy and to return all the energy she has taken to its rightful place.
Volume 6: Binbougami Ga!' Is!
Volume 6: You Binbougami!
Volume 10: Extra Round: You'll Put Them in the Most Delicious Place Of All
Volume 11: Extra Round 1: It's Better to Grow Up Slowly
Volume 11: Extra Round 2: Did Somebody Call for a Prince!!!
Volume 13: Extra Round 1: I'm Glad the Three of Us Could Come
Volume 13: Extra Round 2: A Pet's Misbehavior is the Owners Responsibility You Know
Volume 16: Art Book Extra Round: Come Here
Oneshot: not included in any volume, in was published in Weekly Shounen Jump to promote the main series, which ran in Jump SQ
In a world where the taste and texture of food are an extremely important part of life, a man with superhuman skills is regularly hired by restaurants and the rich as a hunter of precious foods. With the "help" of his timid accomplice, inspired by Toriko's greatness to accompany him, he travels to capture the evasive and ferocious animals he needs to create the ultimate dinner course.
[Written by MAL Rewrite]
Nai searches for someone important to him, with only an abandoned bracelet as a clue. Gareki steals and pick-pockets to get by from day to day. The two meet in a strange mansion where they are set-up, and soon become wanted criminals by military security operatives. When Nai and Gareki find themselves desperate in a hopeless predicament, they encounter none other than the country's most powerful defense organization—"Circus"!!
Compilation of short stories:
1. Hotel: Since 2079 [2006's Morning #25]: It is the year 2272 A.D. A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.
(Released: Jun 1, 2006)
2. Present [2007's Morning #2-3]: Hanako suffers from a terrible disease. After awakening from a deep slumber, Hanako has only three days to live. Set in the future, Present tells a story based on human feelings where the truth isn’t always what it seems.
3. Subete wa Maguro no Tame datta (It Was All for the Tuna) [2008's Morning #31]: Tuna have become extinct and Jun Shiozaki will do everything possible and imaginable to bring them back.
(Released: Jul 17, 2008)
4. Stephanos [2007 Mandala Vol. 1]: Set in modern-day Japan, our main character Noriko finds out that she is pregnant with her lover Matsumura’s baby. He, however, is an important doctor with a family and everything already. Noriko wants to have the baby, but Matsumura says that it’s actually a rapidly growing cancer and that they have to remove it immediately. It might also be neither of these things…
5. Diadem [2008 Mandala Vol. 2]: A "Diadem" is a word for 'crown' that has its root in Greek. "Stephanos", which appeared in "Mandala" 01, was also a 'crown'. It seems that we could consider this the second work in a continuing series of shorts that should perhaps be called a "Crown series
(Source: MangaUpdates and Boichi)
8. Cage of Eden
Danger and action abound after Akira Sengoku and his classmates crash-land on a deserted island while flying home from a class trip. The island doesn't exist on any maps but that's not even the strangest part: the animals they find on the island are prehistoric beasts that are supposed to have been extinct for thousands of years! Now Akira and his friends are in danger as the island's residents start eyeing the humans for their next meal. Will they ever solve the mystery of the island and find their way home?
(Source: Kodansha Comics)
9. Lovers Doll
When Shin hears about a doll known as the "bloody doll" from his friends, he can't help but be curious. Instantly falling in love with the figurine he decides to buy it, but there are rumors about the doll and how it got its name. It can supposedly move and talk, one owner even claimed that it drank his blood.
Unfazed, Shin buys the doll anyway to find out that the rumors might not be as ridiculous as they sound...
10. Bokura no Kiseki
From a young age, Minami Harusumi has had recurring dreams of Veronica, a princess whose kingdom is on the verge of destruction. He believes them to be recollections of his past life, and that he is her reincarnation. Because of this, he is ridiculed by his classmates. One day, when the mockery escalates into bullying, he rediscovers magic—something Veronica had studied and used. Reassured his past life is not merely a fantasy, Minami tries to learn more about his past memories and the reason behind them...