Top 10 Psychological Manga of 2008
1. Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan
"I have something I don't want to lose"
"So much so that these terrible feelings have grown."
A pianist who attempted suicide 3 times, Juri, is taken to help her aunt at a prison where murderers who killed indiscriminately are sentenced to death. There, she meets a man named Yuu who took the lives of 3 people. A mother's antagonism--a brother's death... Together they embrace the violent rebellion in their hearts caused by the large, deep scars they carry. However, before long, they both embrace an earnest hope in their hearts. "I want to live"...
An adaptation of novel by South Korea's most popular female novelist, Gong Ji-Young.
(Source: Psycho Pandas)
2. Higurashi WHEN THEY CRY: Massacre Arc
This is regarded as the chapter where "the best situation has been provided," but it takes the courage of a certain character to change the course. This will answer everything, however there is one chapter left - Matsuribayashi-hen. (Source: Wikipedia)
Compilation of short stories:
1. Hotel: Since 2079 [2006's Morning #25]: It is the year 2272 A.D. A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.
(Released: Jun 1, 2006)
2. Present [2007's Morning #2-3]: Hanako suffers from a terrible disease. After awakening from a deep slumber, Hanako has only three days to live. Set in the future, Present tells a story based on human feelings where the truth isn’t always what it seems.
3. Subete wa Maguro no Tame datta (It Was All for the Tuna) [2008's Morning #31]: Tuna have become extinct and Jun Shiozaki will do everything possible and imaginable to bring them back.
(Released: Jul 17, 2008)
4. Stephanos [2007 Mandala Vol. 1]: Set in modern-day Japan, our main character Noriko finds out that she is pregnant with her lover Matsumura’s baby. He, however, is an important doctor with a family and everything already. Noriko wants to have the baby, but Matsumura says that it’s actually a rapidly growing cancer and that they have to remove it immediately. It might also be neither of these things…
5. Diadem [2008 Mandala Vol. 2]: A "Diadem" is a word for 'crown' that has its root in Greek. "Stephanos", which appeared in "Mandala" 01, was also a 'crown'. It seems that we could consider this the second work in a continuing series of shorts that should perhaps be called a "Crown series
(Source: MangaUpdates and Boichi)
4. Higurashi WHEN THEY CRY: Festival Accompanying Arc
In Minagoroshi-hen, the mastermind of the murders was revealed. This time, all the pieces of the puzzle are in place. The last step for the characters to take is putting the pieces together in order to defeat the culprit, obtain the miracle, and break through the barrier of June 1983.
Treating non-successful suicidal patients requires a lot of money and resources. With a low budget and a personal respect argumentation, a doctor will ask a non-successful suicidal patient if he/she still wants to live on or not. If not, the government will respect his/her wish. However, the government doesn't just simply kill them.
6. Genkaku Picasso
Hikari Hamura, nicknamed Picasso because of his natural artistic abilities, survived a horrible accident, but his friend Chiaki wasn't so lucky. Suddenly, Chiaki appears in front of him and tells him in order to keep living he must help the people around him. Can Hikari save people with his sketchbook and a 2B pencil?
7. Future Diary: Mosaic
Find out more about the other characters from Mirai Nikki - Future Diary. These stories start out a few days prior to them receiving their own diary and give us some insight as to how they think and their personal reasons for using the diary they've been chosen to have. In the process learn a little more about Deus ex Macchina, the 'God' of Space and Time, and what his goal really is.
(Source: Baka-Updates Manga)
8. Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge
Yousuke Yamamoto is a typical underachiever, searching for a reason to live while struggling to come to terms with the death of his friend Noto a year ago. Everything changes dramatically for him one night when he runs into Eri Yukizaki, a beautiful girl hiding a tragic loss of her own, out on the streets. When a chainsaw-wielding giant falls from the sky and engages her in battle, it marks the beginning of Yousuke finally finding his purpose in life.
9. 3 Level Combination
In a dystopian future in which robots are becoming increasingly commonplace, a young boy named Hogu lives in near poverty with his grandmother and sister. Though he innately possesses a kind soul, he is ostracized by his classmates and frequently bullied. At the beginning of the story, we find Hogu, friendless and alone - until he meets a robot girl...and our story begins.
The beautiful, white skin of high school student Ichijou Seika stole the heart of the young genius painter Manabe Akiharu. However, in order for him to paint, Akiharu must touch that "something" or else his image won't expand. While desiring to touch her, he worries that his thoughts will dirty her...?!
Source: My Anime List
1. Shoujo Kansen Ritsu (少女カンセン律); Hana to Yume, no.8 2008 (3/19)
2. Senjou ni te, Kotoba Nakushite (戦場にて、言葉無くして); Hana to Yume Plus, April 2005 (3/15)