Top 10 Sports Manga of 2014
1. Hinomaru Sumo
It is a divine ritual, a martial art, a combat sport—it's sumo!!
A "small" new student, Ushio Hinomaru, appears before the weak little sumo club of Oodachi High School! The words "big" and "heavy" are the rules to this sport, which does not fit this newbie any inch, but this guy goes and does what...!? Ushio and the small sumo club climbs its way to the top!
The goal is Hinoshita Kaisan (A title for the highest rank in professional sumo, equivalent of Yokozuna)!
A fired up high school sumo tale—no retakes allowed!!
2. Kuroko's Basketball: Extra Game
Kuroko and his team square off American street basketball challengers.
Riku experienced a lot of pain and tragedy in his early life. After his father's death, a former-boxer Yakuza man taught him how to do a basic punch, and that punch saved his life when he had to defend himself from his mom's drug dealer. He ended up taking the drug dealer's life, marking him as a killer. Criminals continued to come after him, leading to more tragedy for the people who attempted to care for him. All of this drove him to ask that same former boxer to teach him to become stronger, which led him to a rundown gym, his door to the world of pro boxing!
4. Waiting for Spring
Mizuki is a shy girl who’s about to enter high school, and vows to open herself up to new friendships. Of course, the four stars of the boys’ basketball team weren’t exactly the friends she had in mind! Yet, when they drop by the café where she works, the five quickly hit it off. Soon she’s been accidentally thrust into the spotlight, targeted by jealous girls. And will she expand her mission to include … love?
5. Do You Like Big Girls?
Tachibana Souta is a bit of a multi-talented freeter who gets by from one part-time job to the next, his standout characteristic being that he's a bit short. One day he's roped by his older sister into 'serving' their college's volleyball team, of which she's a member. She also happens to be at least 6 and 1/2 ft. tall, as do the rest of the team's members who take quite the interest in Souta.
A collection of one-shot collaborations between author Nisio Isin and 9 different manga artists.
1. Musume Iri Hako (Girl in a Box), Akatsuki Akira; Weekly Shonen Jump 2014-49
Theme: cardbox box
2. RKD-EK9, Obata Takeshi; Jump SQ 2014-12
3. Nani made nara Koroseru? (How Far Can You Kill?), Ikeda Akihisa; Jump SQ 2014-12
4. Hanger strike!, Fukushima Teppei; Weekly Young Jump 2015-01
5. Koi Aru Douguya (Love at the Tool Shop), Yamakawa Aiji; Bessatsu Margaret 2015-01
Theme: ring finger
6. Offside wo Oshiete (Teach Me the Offside), Nakayama Atsushi; Weekly Shonen Jump 2015-03
7. Doushitemo Kanaetai Tatta Hitotsu no Negai to Wari to Sou demo Nai 99 no Negai (The Only Wish I Want Granted by All Means is Comparable to 99 Wishes), Nakamura Hikaru; Weekly Young Jump 2015-06/07
Theme: wish ― epilogue to the Juuni Taisen light novel.
8. Bokura wa Zatsu ni wa Manabanai (We Don't Learn Sloppily), Kawashita Mizuki; Weekly Shonen Jump 2015-01
9. Tomodachi Inai Doumei (Friendless Alliance), Kindaichi Renjuurou; Jump SQ 2015-03
Theme: conversation drama
7. Harigane Service
Pinch server Shimodaira Kanna enters high school with the hopes of appearing regularly in volleyball matches even though he sucks at everything aside from serving. The club he enters has three other formidable first years. But that's not all, even the older members look like a strong team. Will he get his chance to shine?
(Source: Shoujo Sense Scanlations)
9. Short Game: Adachi Mitsuru ga Tanpen de Tsumugu Koukou Yakyuu
Short Program is the title of a short story collection by Mitsuru Adachi.
2. Yuugengaisha Adachi Pro
4. Meitantei Go Page
5. Full Count
6. Tori no Ichi
7. Asaoka Koukou Yakyuubu Nisshi: Over Fence
8. Gag Touch
9. Yuku Toshi Kuru Toshi
10. Ame Ni Mo Make Zu
11. Yonpeji no Mirai
10. Silver Paladin: Holy Knight
Kogane Kokoro wanted to reach out to someone in need in the train but was unable to do so. Then a mysterious old man appeared and took down those goons with his swift movements. Impressed by the heroic appearance, Kokoro decided to become stronger. He became the disciple of the old man and started learning fencing. (Source: MU)