Winter 2017 Wrap-Up Thread

Harunobu
The same as past threadshttps://anilist.co/forum/search?q=wrap20up. With the Winter 2017 season having come to a close the latest edition of the WrapUp threads has been created. As a guide you can use the list but feel free to debate object to others bad taste deviate from the default template at your leisure and whatnot. Favorite Anime of the Season Best Anime of the Season Worst Anime of the Season Best Artsyle Worst Artstyle Best Animation Worst Animation Best Opening Theme Worst Opening Theme Best Ending Theme Worst Ending Theme Best Soundtrack Worst Soundtrack Best Male Voice Actor Worst Male Voice Actor Best Female Voice Actor Worst Female Voice Actor Best Male Character Worst Male Character Best Female Character Worst Female Character Best Couple Worst Couple Surprise of the Season Disappointment of the Season Overall Thoughts on the Season
22 Replies
FloozyGod
Little Witch Academia and Kobayashis Maid Dragon. Its a tough call so Im giving a tie to may favorite anime of the season. Both had the best artstyle animation and characters. Honorable mention to Interview with Monster Girls Best OP and ED goes to Kobayashis Maid Dragon Palapalapalapaaapalaaaaapaaaapaalaaa Honorable mention to Fuuka OP Overall the shows saved the season. Trigger saved anime again. KyoAni is based Shoutout to ufotable as well. They are the GOATS See ya when AoT drops XD
Erwin
joy
Yeah right. Trigger saved anime.
FloozyGod
They always do everytime
alakon
永久の花園
Favorite Anime of the Season: Best Anime of the Season: Best Artsyle: Best Animation: Best Opening Theme: Best Ending Theme: Best Soundtrack: Surprise of the Season: Overall Thoughts on the Season:
Erwin
joy
Favorite Anime of the Season: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Worst Anime of the Season: Blue Exorcist 2 Best Artsyle: Nothing noteworthy Worst Artstyle: Blue Exorcist 2 Best Animation: Little Witch Academia Worst Animation: Nothing noteworthy Best Opening Theme: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Best Ending Theme: Nothing noteworthy Best Soundtrack: Nothing noteworthy Best Male Character: Yotaro and Yakumo from Rakugo Shinju Worst Male Character: Everyone from Blue Exorcist Best Female Character: Tanya from Youjo Senki and Konatsu from Rakugo Shinju Worst Female Character: Everyone from Blue Exorcist Surprise of the Season: No suprises. Disappointment of the Season: No real disappointments. I knew Blue Exorcist was going to be trash. Overall Thoughts on the Season: It was ok. Im expecting more from the next one.
Removed
Favorite Anime of the Season Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Anime of the Season Hand Shakers Best Artsyle Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Artstyle Hand Shakers Best Animation Little Witch Academia TV Worst Animation N/A Best Opening Theme Youjo Senki / ACCA: 13ku Kansatsuka Worst Opening Theme Hand Shakers Best Ending Theme Youjo Senki / Kuzu no Honkai Worst Ending Theme Hand Shakers Best Soundtrack N/A Worst Soundtrack N/A Best Male Character Kazuma Satou Worst Male Character Tazuna Best Female Character Tanya Degurachaff / Tohru Worst Female Character Koyori Best Couple Ren x Haru / Kazuma Satou x Aqua ship Worst Couple Tazuna x Koyori Surprise of the Season Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon / Youjo Senki Disappointment of the Season Hand Shakers Overall Thoughts on the Season Kinda meh.
incognitootbc
Favorite Anime of the Season Konosuba Best Anime of the Season Konosuba again. Worst Anime of the Season AKIBA S TRIP. Honourable mention Nanbaka S2 Best Artsyle Konosuba loved how freely they were this season with the facial/body expressions. Best Animation Zestiria ufotable again never disappoints. Worst Animation Handshakes my eyes were bleeeeeding. Best Opening Theme ACCA. Best Ending Theme Little Witch Academia. Best Male Voice Actor Jun Fukushima voices Kazuma Best Female Voice Actor Maria Naganawa voices Kanna 3 Best Male Character Kazuma Kazuma Kazumaaaaa from Konosuba Best Female Character So tough but have to say Darkness from Konosuba Worst Male/Female Characters No one in particular. Best Couple Tohru and Kobayashi Worst Couple No one really. Surprise of the Season Kobayashisan Chi no Maid Dragon Disappointment of the Season Youjo Senki Overall Thoughts on the Season It has been pretty decent. Perfect description I could give it is it is the season of characters. Apart from a couple series the overall process of this season is characters just winning peoples hearts like Kazuma and Darkness from Konosuba or Kanna and Lucoa from Kobayashisan Chi no Maid Dragon. Much love to Suzy as well from LMA. I would say though my top 3 winter shows were Konosuba S2 Kobayashisan Chi no Maid Dragon and LMA
LouM
Before i start here is what i have watched:SeirenAo No ExorcistMasamune kunFuukaYoujo SenkiLittle Witch AcademiaKonosubaYowamushi PedalKuzu No HonkaiGintamaReikenzan.What i have planned to watch:OniheiGabriel dropoutDemi ChanEldiveKobayashiShouwa GenrokuTales of zestiriaChain ChronicleAkibas tripAcca 13. Favorite Anime of the season: Little Witch Academia Best Anime of the Season:Little Witch Academia Wors Anime of the Season:Hand Shakers dont really watch Opening nor Endings but will from next season Dont really care about Voice Acting Best Male Character:If i were to say someone it would be Reikenzans Main Character Worst Male Character:Rin/Yukio Ao No Exorcist And Masamune from Masamune kun no revenge Best Female Character:Akko Little Witch Academia Worst Female Character:Aki Masamune Kun no revenge Best Couple:Seirens First Arc Worst Couple:Masamunes kun no revenge if it counts and from Fuuka Suprise of the Season:Youjo Senki Dissapointment of the Season:Ao No Exorcist was Trash was hoping at least for it to be medium and Masamune kun no revenge Overall Thoughts on the Season:Cant give one at the moment since i havent watched all of the anime i want from this season.
Bakawei
Favorite Anime of the Season : Kobayashis Dragon Maid Worst Anime of the Season: Fuuka Best Artsyle: Kobayashis Dragon Maid Worst Artstyle: Fuuka Best Animation: Kobayashis Dragon Maid Worst Animation: Fuuka Best Ending Theme Chorogonzu Isshukan Comunication Kobayashis Dragon Maid Best Soundtrack 3Gatsu No Lion Best Male Voice Actor Kazuma Satous KonoSuba V.A Worst Male Voice Actor Nicokuns Fuuka V.A or whatever is his real name Best Female Voice Actor Akkos VA Little Witch Academia Best Male Character Kazuma Satou KonoSuba Worst Male Character Nicokun Fuuka Best Female Character Hikari Takanashi Demichan Wa Kataritai Best Couple Every couple in Kobayashis Dragon Maid like Lucoa and Shouta LOL Worst Couple Every Fuukas love stories Surprise of the Season Kobayashis Dragon Maid didnt expect it to be this successful Disappointment of the Season Fuuka because it is trash while Ao No Exorcist because in my opinion this seconds season isnt worth the earlier hype. Overall Thoughts on the Season: An enjoyable season overall with its ups and downs.
qlipox
Favorite Anime of the Season Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Best Anime of the Season Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Anime of the Season Seiren Best Artsyle Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Artstyle Chaos Child Best Animation Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Animation Chaos Child Best Opening Theme Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujououhen Worst Opening Theme Hand Shakers Best Ending Theme Youjo Senki Worst Ending Theme Hand Shakers Best Soundtrack Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujououhen Worst Soundtrack Hand Shakers Best Male Voice Actor Jun Fukushima Worst Male Voice Actor Best Female Voice Actor Aoi Yuuki Worst Female Voice Actor Best Male Character Kazuma Satou Worst Male Character Yuu Haruna Best Female Character Tohru Worst Female Character Fuuka Best Couple Kobayashi x Tohru Worst Couple Fuuka x Yuu Haruna Surprise of the Season Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Disappointment of the Season Masamunekun no Revenge Overall Thoughts on the Season : Pretty good season with nice and cute comedies like Kobayashi Urara or Konosuba. There is no season without bad ones tho. We had few romance and most of them ended in trash bin :P Masamune might be more in future but last ep was letdown in everyway Fuuka lively fuuka decide to act like little b near end of anime just to run happy back after confession Seiren best girl friendzone mc and other 2 are just meh. Guess is so f hard to make even one romance anime with good end. PS. Its anime form Fall but i just couldnt deal with that crap and got forced to drop Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans 2 just 3 episode before end. The reason is bullshit killing streak. Guy who made this have some deathflag after promise fetish. Normal no name mob dies in battle no big deal. How someone know dies? make a promise and bam 510min later is dead. They pull it off one after another and way too much so I just ragequited :D
Poodlers
Favorite Anime of the Season A tie between Little Witch Academia and 3gatsu no Lion Honorable Mention to KonoSuba S2 Kuzu no Honkai ACCA and Youjo Senki Worst Anime of the Season Hand Shakers from the anime what I watched Best Artsyle 3gatsu no Lion Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Artstyle Hand Shakers Best Animation Little Witch Academia KonoSuba S2 Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Best Opening Theme Ao No Exorcist S2 3gatsu no Lion KonoSuba S2 ACCA Chaos Child Best Ending Theme 3gatsu no Lion KonoSuba S2 Little Witch Academia Kuzu no Honkai Worst Ending Theme N/A Best Soundtrack 3gatsu no Lion Little Witch Academia Ao No Exorcist S2 Best Male Voice Actor Kazuma from KonoSuba S2 Best Female Voice Actor Tanya Degurechaff from Youjo Senki Best Male Character Kirishima Rei 3gatsu no Lion Worst Male Character Chaos:Childs protagonist whatever his name was Best Female Character Sucy Little Witch Academia Best Couple Hanabi x Mugi Surprise of the Season ACCA Ao No Exorcist S2 I actually enjoyed this more than the first season Disappointment of the Season Meh. Didnt have much expectations for this season Overall Thoughts on the Season Pretty ok. Had its ups and downs and TRIGGER SAVED ANIME AGAIN
Kranesh
Favorite Anime of the Season: Little Witch Academia and Interview with Monstergirls Honorable Mention: KonoSuba S2 Youjo Senki ACCA 13 and Kobayashi no Maidragon Worst Anime of the Season: Hand Shakers Masamune Kun Revenge Best Artsyle: Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Little Witch Academia ACCA 13 Worst Artstyle: Hand Shakers and Akibas Trip Best Animation: Little Witch Academia ACCA 13 Kobayashisan Chi no Maidragon Worst Animation: Handshakers and Akibas Trip Best Opening Theme: KonoSuba S2 ACCA 13 Chaos Child Kuzu no Honkai Worst Opening Theme: N/A Best Ending Theme: KonoSuba S2 Little Witch Academia Kuzu no Honkai ACCA 13 Youjo Senki Worst Ending Theme: N/A Best Soundtrack: Little Witch Academia ACCA 13 Worst Soundtrack: N/A Best Male Voice Actor: Kazuma from KonoSuba S2 Takahashisensei from Interview with Monstergirls Best Female Voice Actor: Tanya from Youjo Senki Lucoa and Kanna from Kobayashi no Maidragon all the female cast from Interview with Monstergirls Worst Male voice actor: N/A Worst Female voice actress: Ako from Little Witch Academia Best Male Character: Kasuma from Konosuba S2 Takahashisensei from Interview with Monstergirls Jean from ACCA 13 Worst Male Character: Masamune from Masamune Kun revenge Chaos:Childs MC Best Female Character: All the female cast from Little Witch Academia except Ako and all the female cast from Interview with Monstergirls Worst Female Character: Ako from Little Witch Academia Best Couple: Shouta and Lucoa from Kobayashi no Maidragon Surprise of the Season: ACCA 13: Extremely underated show really amazing but kinda slow paced it picks up later and it becomes so good with all the mystery and plot. Interview with Monstergirls: I thought it was gonna be a harem show but it became a show that melted my heart in the end. Akibas Trip: Its a stupid show but in some episodes the comedy was on point and it was really well done. Disappointment of the Season: Handshakers: It tried to be too much... its an anime way ahead of its time mostly because while I do appreciate all the intense combat scenes and interaction with 3D enviroments... the technology to trully merge 2D and 3D flawlessly is not here yet... Im sure in the future these kind of shows will be praised for being pioneers but right now its a complete mess... kinda sad because it had a really good story only to be ruined by poorly writen characters and the animation itself. Masamune Kun Revenge: It started like a solid romcom only to become a trainwreck near the end. Overall Thoughts on the Season: Could be better but at least we got some decent shows out of it Ill give it a solid 7.5/10.
killjoy
Favorite Anime of the Season Sangatsu no Lion It adapted the parts of the manga before I stopped reading it and it did so well. Couldve had a better handle on the comedy though Worst Anime of the Season From what I dropped: Gabriel Dropout Dont really think anything I stuck with till the end was bad Best Artsyle Konosuba won me over. Droopy breasts are now sexy Worst Artstyle I dont think I need to watch Hand Shakers to say its the winner Best Animation I only watched 3 episodes of it but Maid Dragon definitely Best Opening Theme https://www..com/watch?v=pITNm95Sd1k Worst Opening Theme https://www..com/watch?v=kW5KXLaRAjs Best Ending Theme https://www..com/watch?v=2Zr9OvYzabI Best Male Voice Actor Shinichiro Miki as Shimada from Sangatsu Best Female Voice Actor Yuu Kobayashi as Konatsu from Showa Genroku Best Male Character Nino because I want to spread out my love some more else it wouldve been Shimada from Sangatsu again Worst Male Character Rin Best Female Character Kyouko While I did think her crush was silly and unnecessary head moe is just too strong Worst Female Character Akane Surprise of the Season and Disappointment of the Season Demichan. One of the best starts Ive seen which totally caught me by surprise as I didnt even watch it as it aired at first didnt seem like my thing. Then it just totally petered out had some focus on Sakie being an awful character and Takashis pep talk episode was just embarrassing Scene of the Season http://openings.moe/video/Ending1Joshiraku. Overall Thoughts on the Season Not a very good one. Not a single show over my 75 rating line lots of drops and some disappointments. Lets hope Spring is better.
AugustHail
Favorite Anime of the Season Youjo Senki Worst Anime of the Season I could say Hand Shakers but I only watched one episode. So Masamunes Revenge. Best Artsyle Scums Wish Best Animation Kobayashis Dragon Maid Best Opening Theme Fuuka Dragon Maid DemiChan Best Ending Theme Youjo Senki Masamunes Revenge Best Soundtrack Nothing really stood out but Masamunes Revenge was the most dynamic but thats not saying much. Best Male Voice Actor Jun Fukushima as Kazuma Best Female Voice Actor Sora Amamiya as Aqua Best Male Character Rin from Blue Exorcist Kai Shimada from March comes in like a Lion Best Female Character Theres a lot that are really good: Kanna Tooru Tanya Hikari Satou... Best Couple Satou and Takahashi from Demichan Kobayashi and Tooru from Dragon Maid Tanya and God LOL from Youjo Senki Surprise of the Season Youjo Senki. I was ready to drop it by its first episode but now Im actively telling people to watch at least up to episode two. Disappointment of the Season Masamunes Revenge it was pretty bad but add in that terrible readthemanga ending sealed it for me Overall Thoughts on the Season Weak season but there was a lot of surprise shows that I really liked like DemiChan Dragon Maid Blue Exorcist and Youjo Senki.
Phoenix
Winter 2017 WrapUp of Anime Watched: 13 Favorite Anime of the Season Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 2https://anilist.co/anime/21733/DescendingStoriesShowaGenrokuRakugoShinju Worst Anime of the Season Fuukahttps://anilist.co/anime/21887/Fuuka Chain Chronicle was a VERY close second Best Art Style ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept.https://anilist.co/anime/21823/ACCA13kuKansatsuka FOOD FOOD FOOD ACCA killed me with the food mmmmm Best Opening Themes ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept.https://anilist.co/anime/21823/ACCA13kuKansatsuka The best OP this season The artistic style the song love it https://www..com/watch?v=pITNm95Sd1kabchannel=ZodiachAMV Oniheihttps://anilist.co/anime/97590/Onihei The best artistic style in an OP goes to this one though So beautiful https://www..com/watch?v=NNk3EePD9zYabchannel=AnimeL Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 2https://anilist.co/anime/21733/DescendingStoriesShowaGenrokuRakugoShinju I always love the unique tones this anime has in its OPs. They had a lot of fun changing up small things in this one throughout the series. https://www..com/watch?v=vGx7u3hMCOAabchannel=KINGRECORDS Best Ending Theme Youjo Senkihttps://anilist.co/anime/21613/YoujoSenki The best ED this season The song is so fun I love it https://www..com/watch?v=OVnKCkGauIAabchannel=totierona Best Male Characters Kikusan Shinchan from Rakugo 2 Sexiness and adorableness GOSH Shin I wanted you to be my son so badlyyyy hahaa SO FREAKING ADORABLE Kiku Im gonna miss literally everything about you my love hearts hearts hearts Jean Otus from ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept. The calm cool collected and never fazed Jean. Hes just one cool dude to me hearts Im hoping to get another season of him. Special Shout Outs Matsuda the Immortal from Rakugo 2 Such a loyal old ass man he is hahaa This guy will go so far as to die with you for a little bit just to guide you into your next life XD. I honestly cant think of anyone better than this dude to have by your side hahaha Aram the Awesome from Chain Chronicle The anime sucked overall... barely entertaining. Aram was literally the only reason I kept going because it was fun to watch him fight haha Best Female Characters Tanya from Youjo Senki Whats not to love about this chick? This mini Balalaika is so badass Im hoping for another season of her. She dominated this season Akko from Little Witch Academia I love tomboys Akko is so chill and goofy and awesome to me Im enjoying every second of her hearts Sakie Hikari from Interviews with Monster Girls The SEXY Sakie and ADORABLE Hikari This anime was just awesome. I really enjoyed everything about this and these two characters in particular. Special Shout Outs Satania the Queen of Hell from Gabriel DropOut Oh Satania.... Oh my dear sweet Satania hahaha. All I can say was this chick was quite a character haha and the saving grace of this anime for me. Viktoriya the Ride or Die from Youjo Senki To be able to keep up with Tanyas crazy behind throughout this entire series is an accomplishment in itself. Much props my girl Surprise of the Season Maybe the fact that there was no one this season who actually got on my nerves enough for me to say theyre the worst character. Fuuka and the other two corners of the triangle were probably the closest to getting on that list but having the anime there was good enough for me haha. Im also surprised at the fact that I didnt die from the overload of Rakugo love I had with every episode this season. Gosh and Kiku had me dying even more with that sexiness I couldnt keep my glasses on long enough to read stuff haha Disappointment of the Season I did have some expectations for Fuuka but that fell completely short.... Man they all fell off..... All of my expectations.... Man they didnt even fall at all... They just died where they were.... Overall Thoughts on the Season I had a nice selection of anime that I really looked forward to every week. Namely Rakugo of course ACCA Onihei Tanya and Little Witch. I really loved the eye pleasing OPS this season as well. Ive rewatched Oniheis OP way too many times now hahaa. Now its time to see what the Spring Season of Sequels will behold. See you next wrapup
Removed
Best anime of the season is by far Kuzu no Honkai. Twisted and dark romance with somewhat manipulative characters. Seiren. Overall just a blend copy of Amagami SS with even more dence MC. Best animation and art style goes to Hand Shakers. Yes I actually like it. Worst animation and art style goes to Seiren. The reddened cheeks looked especially awful. Best op goes to Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo 2. The dance deserves it. 220https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpitefulEverlastingFrillneckedlizardsizerestricted.gif Best ed goes to Kuzu no Honkai. The start of the song and the timing of the ending in every episode is just perfect. Best guy is Makabe Masamune the cool kid of the school. Worst guy is the MC of Seiren. Cant remember his name funny enough. Best girl is Megumin with an explosive lead. Worst girl is the third and final girl of Seiren. Suprise of the season is Fuuka. It hit me emotionally lot harder than I would have expected. The songs were great too. Disappointment of the season is Seiren. Suprise suprise. Overall thoughts: This season felt kinda light and funny overall. Luckily Kuzu no Honkai was there to take care of the seroius and dark parts. Kuzu no Honkai and Masamunekun no Revenge were the only animu I honestly were excited of during the season. Besides Seiren the rest of the shows were just fun to watch and I didnt have to struggle through them. Winter 2017 propably hopefully wont be the best season of 2017 but it definitely werent bad one to start this year of. Will see how well spring will match it.
Harunobu
Honorable mentions are in order of preference... Favorite Anime of the Season: Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Best Anime of the Season: Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Worst Anime of the Season: Forest Fairy Five Best Story: Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Its good but it doesnt hold up to the first season. The first few episodes were effective in presenting the changes that the art was going through by portraying it through Yotaro. After that though there was too much of a focus on the closure of Yakumos character arc which ended up becoming repetitive with what it was going on about. This caused several aspects of the story and characters to be underdeveloped. We couldve gotten to know more about characters like Yotaro Konatsu and what the art form needed to do in order to survive and adapt to modern times but instead we ended up getting too much of OH MY GOD GUYS YAKUMO ALMOST DIED Best Artsyle: ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept. Even if it hindered the animation which is noticeable with all the stiff/static movement the art style was still pretty good. Whilst the character designs do differ from the source material theyre still nice to look at particularly in closeup shots. The backgrounds were pleasant as expected from Studio Pablo and the use of colors was nice too. There were some hiccups in the production quality but it was a real treat to watch at its best especially episode 8 which was one of the most artistic episodes from this season. Oh and the food. I cant forget the food. There were tons of brilliant shots of food. Honorable Mentions: March Comes in Like a Lion Miss Kobayashis Dragon Maid and Little Witch Academia Best Animation: Miss Kobayashis Dragon Maid Despite not being actionoriented the animation was pretty consistent throughout the anime even at its worse. I think the fact that its focus was on the mundane helped keep the animation at a respectable level whether it be simple movements or exaggerated ones. Its much better than seeing sudden spikes in quality which you usually get in many shows. Honorable Mentions: Little Witch Academia and Tales of Zestiria the X 2 Best Opening Theme: ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept. Coupled with artistic flair the fast upbeat nature urges the viewers to watch out for the hints and foreshadowing which is important for an anime like ACCA because it is structured as a mystery. Thats backed up by the lyrics with the last line being You gotta use your eyes to perceive the way Honorable Mentions: Rakugo Shinju March Comes in Like a Lion and Onihei Best Ending Theme: March Comes in Like a Lion The first OP and ED for this anime were spectacular not only because they were sung by BUMP OF CHICKEN but also because of the art and symbolism. Although it got dumbed downed in the 2nd OP the 2nd ED is still pretty good with its symbolism portraying the coldness and harshness of Reis depression while at the same time also portraying the fact that he is starting and willing to change. Honorable Mentions: Scums Wish ACCA and Tanya the Evil Best Soundtrack: Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuhttp://musicinanime.tumblr.com/tagged/shouwagenrokurakugoshinjuu The period piece music fits well with the anime giving off a historical feeling which is befitting for an anime that takes place across several generations. Honorable Mention: March Comes in Like a Lion Best Male Voice Actor: Jun Fukushima Kazuma Honorable Mention: Tomokazu Seki Yotaro Best Female Voice Actor: Yuu Kobayashi Konatsu Her Jugemu per formance in episode 4 was brilliant It was the part in the series that made me smile the most and its too bad that we didnt get another performance from her in the finale. Best Male Character: Kai Shimada March Comes in Like a Lion His character arc was stressful to go through because the shift felt too sudden and made it seem like he was the protagonist. I didnt even expect him to get as much development as he did but it was worth the watch. It would be easy to write off someone like Shimada as inconsequential because of his outward appearance and nature which is exactly what Rei did. But through his back story we get to see that he is a quiet yet very ambitious person who has a sense of obligation towards his hometown. Shimada describes his town as a dull place where you cant really do much but to Shimada his hometown means a lot to him despite its dullness. To him its at least something. Going back and forth from the countryside to Tokyo is a restless task that leaves the fear of dissapointment weighing on Shimadas shoulders because to him the brat who was a genius back home was just one more brat in Tokyo. Shimadas story felt complete unlike Reis but it certainly offered lessons to Rei which will help him develop in the long run. Honorable Mention: Yotaro and Yakumo Yurakutei Best Female Character: Konatsu Rakugo Shinju Best Couple: Yotaro X Konatsu Rakugo Shinju Surprise of the Season: Kemono Friends Disappointment of the Season: First half of Little Witch Academia Overall Thoughts on the Season: A lot of shows this season wasted their potential by failing to delve deeper into any possible thematic core they had ex: racial discrimination and intersectionality in Demichan. Overall this season was okay.