Sabseph

Once you start watching anime (especially at a young age) everything is good because you have no taste. You enjoy everything. Most people might say that is a bad thing.

However, they are very wrong. "No taste" is the best taste. Every anime is 10/10 and its because YOU enjoy it. Not because of some amazing plot with no holes, amazing characters that develop over time or beautifully drawn anime. It is because YOU thoroughly love the time, or time vortex, you have to watch any anime.

The sad part is over time you do start liking certain animes more than others. You come to an understanding that some animes can't match your previous (nostalgia glasses) experiences. This is where you develop "shit taste". When you start liking some "shit" over the other. It doesn't really matter what personal criteria you have. If the anime doesn't live up to those standards it isn't as good for you.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm told. When you've reached the anime guru status and have watched boat loads of anime chasing the feelings you had from your favorites. You get burnt out. You give up your standards and realize that sometimes you just need to watch a shitty Harem (no not the Harem you like, that shit one nobody likes.)

Eventually, you come back full circle to "no taste". This is when you can sit down and enjoy any anime again. You've given your last fuck and you've moved on. You can enjoy anime for the sake of anime.

One must have shit taste before one has no taste.
You should also watch this video

veritasmahwa

Ah i see, you're a man of gigguk follower as well.
Best advice so far.

Etyo

I can attest to this, even though I haven't watched many titles. I can say I went full circle. I am now at a point where I can watch anything, even a stupid harem, I can clearly tell how bad it is, but I enjoyed it like a beer on a hot Sunday afternoon. I went through phases of not wanting to watch Anime at all, because nothing lived up to expectations and eventually I reached nirvana - burn out. Here I am even with a limited viewed number, yet experiencing what you are speaking of @Sabseph.

ManekiMewchan

I don't believe that you can have "no taste" at all. Ot at least this was the case for me - and many others, for sure. Even as a kid I disliked some anime like Dragonball and other things like Star Wars etc. Maybe you didn't get enough experience yet (at this point in your life), but at least you know the genre, art style and sort of characters you like. This taste develops in the one or another direction, imo.

At least there is not such a thing like "shit taste", because different people developed their own mindsets and point of view in life.
So everyones interprets stories and characters through their own glasses anyway.

For me, it really works to ignore the scores and reviews. I read them afterwards, because they might affect me, subconsciously. In every community, there are "what to like / not to like"-trends.
So I watch the first OP, trailer, pictures etc...and decide if I want to watch or read it. But I try to avoid reviews and other statements like that.
Exceptions are friends, who recommend me their favs. Tho, the positive opinions from people you respect and like very much also could influence you. They emphasize the positives sides... which is a good thing, I guess?