Locked [Made In Abyss] Sexual content, is it Necessary? No really, was any of that necessay?

Removed
SPOILERS for the show and the movie Ill specify when somewhat I guess. Also a TW for numerous things if you watched the show Im sure you know already. I know this is a long post but please read it it at least skim through it. At least try to understand where Im coming from/ Intro: Okay first off I want to say this is not meant to say you cant or even that you shouldnt like Made in Abyss. Im just tired of looking this topic up and people excusing it ignoring it not mentioning it when discussing MiA or flat out endorsing it. Below Im gonna list of a bunch of things that I found weird or off in the show. I want you to ask yourself was that necessary? Below the statement click Spoiler click to view to get the answer. BY THE WAY If youre an animeonly like me: The manga has most if not all of the things I mention uncensored. I dont know and I dont want to know myself but I read someone else complaining about this. Okay? Ready? Lets begin. 1. The head of the Balchero orphanage saying shes going to string Riko up and beat her something along those lines. 2. Showing Riko strung up and naked being beaten. 3. Riko mentioning Regs penis being lifelike. 4. Mentioning them having to go to the bathroom. 5. Rikos uncle looking at Regs penis. 6. On Level 2 after Reg passes out from Incinerator and Riko is shirtless 7. Showing Riko showering at the Seeker Camp including her being nude. 8. Showing Reg and Marulks reactions to Riko being naked. 9. Dont remember when this happened but mentioning they have to go to the bathroom at the Seeker Camp. 10. Nanachi and Reg are always shirtless. 11. Nanachi healing Riko and we Nanachi stripping her as well as Reg getting embarassed. 12. Nanachi mentioning the medicine crystal thing has to go up Rikos butt. 13. Rikos pants being peestained. 14. Reg carrying around Rikos peestained pants. 15. Mittys human form specifically her outfit. 16. Riko and Reg getting in the lake. 17. When they remove the purple parasite thing. Movie Spoilers? Below 18. Regs surgery and the Umbra Hands mentioning his pee. 19. Riko getting up to go to the bathroom mentioning she has to pee. 20. Reg getting a boner from touching Nanachi and showing it. 21. Prushka bathing in the flashback. Okay those were all of the ones I made note of. As I mentioned many are worse in the manga and Ive even heard it gets worse after the current anime content. How fun. So really WAS ANY OF THAT NECESSARY? Please tell me. No seriously tell me in the comments was it? Why is it a problem? First off no matter how you try to view it the characters are depictions of children. Make the argument they arent real all you want its weird and its gross. Second sexual assault lolicon pedophilia etc. are all already things far more normalized in Japan not to say those things arent grossly normalized somewhat it the west as well. From women basically expecting to be groped on trains to the fact that the author of Rorouni Kenshin after being found with so much CP police thought he was a distributor being able to still serialize in a Jump magazine. It is grossly normalized. And no the age of consent isnt 13 in Japan thats been debunked many times most if not all prefectures have raised it dont make any of those argument. Nor any cultural arguments that Ive seen. Now the actual problem the fact that this content is being displayed in an otherwise normal manga. The normalization that MiA brings to this content is disturbing. Not only is it popular its regarded as being a masterpiece. If you ask me I could never call something with such glaring pedophilic content a MASTERPIECE. No one brings it up for what it is no one mentions its severity. I went into MiA expecting some on the nose character designs some odd jokes. Nope. It was just pedophilia. Laughing at Akihito doesnt come from a place of ridicule but rather one of love as many people see themselves myself included in his appearance as well as his behavior as he constantly courts controversy with his risque depiction of underage characters in his Made in Abyss manga. Some fucking weirdo that writes for some shitty otaku blog. Its not risque depictions of underage characters ITS CHILDREN DRAWN NUDE. Akihitos other works I looking up his name found one of Akihitos pennames something Beetle something completely public. As well as people posting his unrelated artwork. What can you find? A bunch of lolicon shirtless shotas just gross things. Which shows you his mindset when drawing MiA. Its just gross. Arguments Ive seen Separate the art from artist You cant. The artist in this scenario has directly put his weirdness onto the pages of the manga and it has been adapted into the anime. There is nothing to separate. They are intertwined. Its a cultural difference Fuck culture its weird. Dont tell me sexualizing children isnt weird. Its fictional not real children Screw yourself it depicts children. Dont try to argue it. I prefer people look at lolis/draw lolis than do it to real children Okay dont act like this is something helpful or beneficial. Its not people who are attracted to children need therapy. Who cares if its real or not maybe it isnt hurting children but it surely encourages gross behavior and sexualization of children which can easily lead to real harm. You have to be stupid to think there are no repurcussions. The messed up scenes show the reality of their situations Im not talking about the messed up scenes. I agree the bloated arm the cartridges these are all fantastic depictions of how messed up the netherworld can be theyre emotional impactful and also ruined because I cant help but think its just fetish content. Cancel culture SJW Things along these lines I surprisingly havent seen this one too much. At least not directly Ive seen it implied. This is a dumb take regardless lolicons use it to defend whatever weird shit. Being anti sexualization of children isnt being an SJW. People will enjoy it and consume it either way Sure people will kill people randomly. Crime will continue to happen. Does that mean we shouldnt work to stop it? Slow it? NOT NORMALIZE IT? We can put measures into stopping it. Crime is linked to socioeconomic conditions so we should work to improving those. Unwanted birth happens because poor sex education exists. Enjoying and actively promoting content that sexualizes children without talking about what the media actually conveys and says is incredibly problematic and regressive. Can people not like it? Ive seen people call others pdos for liking it. Im not saying that. There are many things to love about MiA the world is beautiful the drama is intense the fights are amazing the animation is beautiful but its everything else. If you are to discuss MiA every single time you need to mention how problematic it is. Praise it all you want but dont ignore the problems. What do I mean? This review: https://anilist.co/review/11508 The author of the review praised the series. Called it worthwhile but gave it a 50/100 for its sexual content. 59/179 users liked that review. Meaning 120 people were SO upset that someone dared critique how weird the content can be they disliked the review. If you claim to be a fan of this series you must shame the author for what they put into the series. You dont even necessarily have to give it a poor score. Just bring it up discuss it. Talk about how gross it is. Talk about how unnecessary it. Too often did I see people call it just dark. Its sinister its not dark its a wolf in sheeps clothing. Dont ignore the problems. Outro: So what can we do? I dont know. Nothing really I guess. The manga will continue to be serialized theres a game coming out season 2 will come out. People will still defend it. Unless the author gets arrested for something horrific praying he does it will probably continue its success. Even then he might still have a career. Its saddening to come to that realization but please if anything just recognize the issues. I know people talk about it I know Im not the first but I dont see it enough. Shame the author get people out of the fanbase that ignore the problem. Dont support the mangaka. We cant normalize this shit anymore than it already is.
220 Replies