Shinjiru 3.2.0 - An AniList Desktop Client and Scrobbler

Kazakuri

What is Shinjiru?

Shinjiru is an open-source anime management tool for AniList. Essentially it can automatically keep your list up-to-date with the shows you're watching, make quick adjustments to items on your list or even keep you on schedule with automatic RSS feed parsing.

Screenshots

Download

429 Replies
dewapohon

Aw, not support windows x64 yet :(

Josh
mod

All 32 bit Windows programs are compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows, so you should have no problem running this. I have no issues with it on 7 64bit.

dewapohon

But i get an error, it says "The application was unable to start correctlr (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the program"
Im using Windows 7 64bit. ????

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

It's probably just a dependency issue. I'll look into it for you

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

To follow up with my previous message I think it may have something to do with the Visual C++ Redistributable package.

Can you

1. Delete the files "msvcp120.dll" and "msvcr120.dll" from the Shinjiru folder.
  2. Try to run Shinjiru again.
  3. If Shinjiru still does not run, download and install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013.
dewapohon

Finally its working, i have to install vcredist_x86.exe
Thanks btw

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Thanks a lot for reporting it I'll probably switch to distributing the vcredist package instead of those two dlls in the future.

Subpyro
data mod

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Once I get mac support up and working I'll take a dive into Linux.

Linux has a lot of different flavours and window managers so it might be tricky.

Subpyro
data mod

It's awesome if you'll try it out in the first place; thank you. :)

Actaeon
Donator

Do you primarily use Linux for day to day use?

Subpyro
data mod

Yes. I don't dual-boot. Pure Linux user.

That is why I respect developers that push apps through and make them available on Linux platform as well, as they very well know that if they would make them compatible with Microsoft Windows and OS X softwares only, they would already cover the majority. If they take their time to deliver the product and make it available on other OS than the leading two alone, they get a big thumbs up from me.

Constantine

Can't you just use Wine for apps that don't natively support Linux distros?

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Wine is certainly an option for Linux users but a lot of the time you'll have trouble getting software to run through Wine without it being glitchy and crash filled.

Plus he wouldn't be able to enjoy Shinjiru's anime recognition and automatic list updating ;)

Ethann

Maybe if you do Linux use something like electron?

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

We do have Linux support already.

Ethann

Oh my b
Awesome

Matachines

Very cool, will have to try this once I get on my Windows computer.

Matachines

Trying out. This is very cool!

ntripolone

its great thanks a bunch its much easier now to sort every thing out

Reita
Donator

you might want to fix that spelling error

Edit:
probably a known problem, but my custom lists dont show any entries.

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Blame that typo on @Josh ;)

I've been working on custom lists trying to get them working so there might still be a bunch of bugs with them, but they should at least show something.
I'll look into it today, thanks.

Akyoto

Thumbs up, nice work Kazakuri!

I'm actually using this together with ARN atm, at least until I add episode incrementing (but that will still take a while). Very nice tool :)

Taluun
mod
Best Friend

Very nice, I'm liking this alot.

Melvinkooi
Donator

So far it's working as intended. There's some crashes here and there (1 when refreshing the lists and 1 when opening an anime panel). But for the test round i did for recognizing anime and scrobbling them, it did it's job well with no mistakes. (although it was one anime so far: Blood-C). I will still try it.

Reita
Donator

Can confirm those crashes.
Refreshing lists sometimes (1 out of 10 tries) results in a crash.

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

If the crashes left a dmp file it would be very helpful to have to help debug the cause of the crash. ^^

DaLadybugMan
Donator

Oooh, I like it. Thanks!

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Did someone say "Season browser"?

Just released version 1.1.0, packed with some important bugfixes and the all new season browser.

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Version 1.3.0 has been released featuring a bit more love to custom list users plus a more optimized start-up load!

Melvinkooi
Donator

Maybe a little bit too far-fetched, but can we see Manga support in the future?

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Manga support is something I've discussed with a few users already and the only features of Shinjiru that manga support can benefit from would be list browsing, edit panels, searching and user statistics.

However adding manga support for the sake of having every part of AniList manageable through Shinjiru is definitely something I'd like to implement someday.

alakon
天下無双

Manga support seems mostly useless, unless it had full MU support, and that seems needlessly complex.

Dusk252

Not my case since I prefer to update through the browser anyway, but I know people for whom having manga list support in a desktop app is a make it or break it thing.

alakon
天下無双

My manga list here is just a copy of my MU list. All the functionality I need is on MU, not anilist, and I'm sure this is the same for many people who read quite a bit. it would be great to have a desktop app for both, but it seems unlikely.

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Yeah, you guys pretty much summed up my concerns for it. Adding support for external sites or trying to wrap my head around something like automatic chapter updates isn't really feasible. So the only real option is just adding the barebones support but I'm not too sure that'll really be utilized all that much.

aquinotgr

i can't run shinjiru
i'd try to install vcredist_x86.exe but still i can't run the shinjiru.
it still has an error

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Huh, that's really strange.

I'll try to look into it for you. Have you tried restarting / reinstalling the vcredist libraries?

aquinotgr

not yet. can you tell me how to reinstall vcredist library?
i tried to search in google but i can't found anything

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

When you reopen the vcredist_x86 executable it should look like this:

From there you can click repair to try repairing the installation or uninstalling and then relaunching the executable again to reinstall it.
Although when I tried repairing as a sample run, it did prompt me to restart my computer afterwords so restarting your computer might be required.

chakku

I know these are early stages and I'm glad somebody has stepped up to make an updater that supports a tracker. I'm also glad you decided not to go MAL Updater route with the UI and kept it simple but I do think it needs some cleaning up. I threw this together just as a suggestion on how to many lay some things out, I don't have any coding experience so this is just shopped.

(It's mostly just condensed)

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Yeah, I do agree that some of the margins should definitely be smaller.

The only thing I'm not entirely sure about with this is when Shinjiru is a smaller window or when a user has a lot of custom lists.
In those cases, the tab bar can easily overflow into the filter list or user image / notification counter.

chakku

You could possibly limit it to a certain width and any tabs beyond that would throw in some left/right arrows and let you scroll through them similarly to browser tabs? And maybe have an option to change the Anime List/Statistics etc tabs to icon only to save some space there for those who are accustomed to what the icons represent.

Alternatively you could just move the username to the titlebar and raise the avatar icon and filter so the tabs don't overlap them like so:

Also another thing, would it be possible to make it so that the filter list is also a search bar? In Taiga when you input a query it automatically filters the list, however when you hit Enter it searches the database for the query instead of the list. Having to open a seperate search box is a little tedious

May I ask what the little number is next to the user avatar is by the way?

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

The number next your user image is your notification count.

QT lacks a lot of customizability around the tab widget and tab bars but I'll try to see what I can come up with and do about it .

Akyoto

Could it be that you're using a font that's not available on JP Windows installations?
I really doubt it but have a look at the comparison (especially visible on the tabs and on the profile name):

Looks like your font is antialiased and looks much better while the text rendering in my client is really bad.

P.S. Tried upgrading to the latest version but the issue remains.

chakku

Try installing Mactype and using the XMac.LCD.Default profile. That font is Segoe UI which is the default in 8, at least for the English version. (I just have the locale set to Japanese for muh eroge)

Akyoto

Yep, Segoe UI is installed.

Thanks for the MacType tip. The profile you suggested works, now it is antialiased but very blurry:

Too blurry, not as sharp as in Kazakuri's pic. Need to disable it because I can't read anything on my BenQ.

chakku

Yeah I'm not sure I mean it's still using that unicode font as default so I assume there's little you can do about it.

This is what my (outdated) version looks like with the same profile going for reference

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Shinjiru is actually using MS Shell Dlg 2 which is a logical font that essentially maps to a localized font based on Windows versions.

The default font that it changes to is defined by the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\FontSubstitutes. Mine has MS Shell Dlg 2 set to Tahoma.

Akyoto

Heh, me too.

chakku

That would explain why my Shinjiru font looks completely different to my Segoe UI, my bad. I only paid attention to the titlebar font when I was doing that previous edit ┓(゚ペ;)┏

Kazakuri
mod
Watch Shoujo Ramune

Yeah, Microsoft really shouldn't be pushing Segoe UI so hard while still defaulting to Tahoma like that.
I've made a few changes to the font settings which should add a little bit more uniformity to everything.

modals0ul

Omg I really need the OS X version :'(