The most overrated anime of all time

Faceplantfloor
Theres no doubt that this is an excellent work of cinema and an essential mustwatch but I still dont think it deserves all of the praise it gets. What I find few people mentioning about this movie as an essential flaw is the naive morality of its protagonists going internally uncriticized. What am I talking about? Im talking about the view that people are inherently good. When a woman sets out to kill a god out of greed and the consequence is largescale destruction that in and of itself is a form of criticism showing the consequences of such evil actions yet shes so quickly forgiven and comes back to the light in Darth Vaderesque fashion without any further repercussions or any criticism from her companions. The story bends over backwards to justify her behavior but it never extends an olive branch to the antagonistic characters namely the samurai. The antagonistic characters though also human are never treated with the same selfsacrificing attempts to redeem them from the error of their ways. They are never treated by the story as having any justification for their actions but are treated with a thoughtless bad guy mentality. I wonder why I never hear anyone else talk about this aspect of the film. Its something Ive noticed in a lot of Miyazakis work. Even if you do take the view that humans are inherently good the problem Im getting at is inconsistency and a lack of selfawareness in the writing. Does anyone else have some insight on the matter? Do others agree or disagree?
78 Replies