Can We Agree that the Infamous Scene from Goblin Slayer Episode 1 Was Blown out of Proportions

LePsyduck

2018 is ending and one of the most controversial anime that came out that year is Goblin Slayer.

Goblin Slayer
Action, Fantasy, Adventure,
TV · Finished · Fall 2018 · 73%

When the first episode premiered, some anime fans were shocked to see the depiction of rape. Was it messed up? Yes, but is it the worst thing in the world? Honestly, no. While I never seen these two in their entirety, I seen clips of Violence Jack and Urotsukidouji and they were more messed up than Goblin Slayer.
Violence Jack: Jigokugai
Action, Drama, Horror,
OVA · Finished · Winter 1988 · 48%

https://anilist.co/anime/2359
In Goblin Slayer, they didn't really show that much. The closest we got is the woman getting her clothes ripped and the goblin about to do it. It cuts to the cave ceiling and we don't see it.
The clip is on YouTube if you want to see it. I just think people blew it out of proportions. Do you guys think it was blown out of proportions. If so, what do you think was more messed up than this?

16 Replies
MajorApplePie

What did you expect? It's the 2010s everything will be blown out of proportions, be it good or bad.

But what really annoys me is the people jumping in to defend things instead of just ignoring outrage culture. You are making it worse for everyone. Then again you do you, luckily I don't know any of you cunts IRL.

pent

The problem is that they leaped right into that scene despite viewers not knowing anything about the characters. It was drawn out way too long in a way that was clearly just meant to be jack off material under the poorly written guise of a tragic reasoning for characters to hate goblins. I think people are upset about how garbage the anime is and just cite that particular scene as an example.

MajorApplePie

jack off material

Please, not even @Settonn would be able to masturbate to this weak shit.

Settonn

@MajorApplePie you underestimate my ability to masturbate to anything. I'm masturbating to this comment thread as I type this out.

MajorApplePie

Of course you are, I'm in it after all.

4digitmen

"poorly written guise of a tragic reasoning for characters to hate goblins" I mean, this is just wrong. The only person who hates goblins are people who have had personal experiences with them (Sword Maiden and Goblin Slayer), all the other adventurers just see them as fodder for some free money. Its jack off material for people who have a rape fetish, and the whole population doesnt have one.

4digitmen

Its very blown out of proportion. Ive seen people say its the worst anime of 2018 even though they havent even watched it, and their reasoning is always the exact same. Its clearly just a bandwagon because it showed a small clip of a taboo subject, and its not as if it was just there to be there. The rape factor was used in the backstory of both Goblin Slayer and the Sword Maiden, and both these characters wouldnt be the same without it.

christayloralter

I think the scene hit the spot and got the right reaction while not going overboard and doing more than it needed to. It was unusual for me, it was actually repulsive and frustrating instead of just being implied that you should feel that way.

Now that managed to achieve a few things:

• it showed how there's a real danger through an example and didn't unnecessarily reuse the scene for some sick fetishbait, which is a clear indication that the intent was not to present it in a positive light
  • I started to hate goblins deeply and wanted to see them punished, making action scenes that much more exciting
  • I got invested in the main character and the narrative because I could relate to the cast's feelings and fears (I didn't want to see anyone suffer again)

I don't find it controversial at all, in fact. There are numerous live action series and movies out there that I can't go near because violence is more realistic, difficult themes and repulsive visuals being so close and real isn't that easy to handle for me (man, I hate horror and stuff). Most people enjoy when they aren't treated like someone unintelligent and fragile, which those shows prove can be done correctly. (As in, you're responsible for what you watch). I'm more into anime, however, and I can see the problem clearly as to why I can't handle violence so well - it's because we're so far distanced from reality. I do think that if Goblin Slayer was more akin to an isekai setting and incorporated stats and game-like elements to make violence "less violent" and characters and monsters "less real", it would have been less "controversial". But then we're back to what we usually get, layers of distancing the viewer from something more "material" for a lack of a better word in mind.

Look at Devilman Crybaby for an example. Because it's on Netflix, they could do a lot more with the show than what they would have done if it was produced like other seasonal anime. It's ceraintly violent, in fact, it's levels more violent than Goblin Slayer and it's full of even more convoluted themes. We know, though, that everything had to be portrayed that way to make sense narratively. It's certainly not for everyone since some might not like it or understand it, but that is perfectly fine because the story it's trying to tell and message it wants to send couldn't be expressed if they went for a more generalist all-ages approach - which most anime do. And that's where we get to the real meat of the issue. I'm not sure how age ratings work for anime but I can tell for sure that not all anime is meant to be watched by everyone as it is with other mediums, anime seems to aim for broader audiences (to perhaps sell better and be presentable on TV, a guess).

A bit on the show in general for the ones who found the narrative lacking or boring. One of the biggest strengths of the show is how even goblins are intelligent and act more human-like than humans in similar settings sometimes, with both the cast and the goblins being capable of making mistakes and getting outwitted. Made me feel like they aren't killing fodder, they are killing sentient beings and not just for fun. Honestly, the goal was to make it look like killing goblins is a chore instead of a grand goal, that's why the show took jabs at the "hero kills the demon lord" setting. It's dirty work, it's repulsive, someone has to do it but we often forget about it (Dirty Jobs anyone?). In that sense, the series has achieved its goal and somehow made it exciting too (though that's subjective I guess).

Lots of people feel betrayed and left out when they can't watch a popular show because they don't like it or have difficulties watching it. Like "if only it was more tasteful and had less of whatever, I'd enjoy it, but not like this". We can't let a mentality like that get in the way of our appreciation of what a show achieves. We don't have to watch and rate every anime we come across either. We also need to let go of the us vs. them mentality that comes from liking and disliking shows. (I also think that seeing something that has been similarly done before shouldn't influence our opinion on it as much as it does, but that's a different topic.)

In short, there is a specific reason why there was a scene like that, it didn't step over any line or misuse the theme, it showed less than the manga because anime can't show all that, we need to accept that not every show is meant for everyone, anime needs to take more inspiration from reality than from other anime to be compelling.

I don't think that the show is amazing but that's unrelated. And as I've said, I'm no fan of violence so I have no reason to defend it. This is more like a summary of what I think was intended, how it was handled and how it made me feel.

CtrlZED

The fans of the series overreacted just as well...so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Polybius

It is sexualized to an extent, but I think it got the message across clearly. "The only good goblins are the ones who never come out of their stinking holes."
<--- Not my proudest fap

NYANING

I wish every episode of goblin slayer was like the first one. that episode was fucking good.

PvaGlue

Yeah it probably was but that's seasonal anime. But don't get me wrong i thought the first episode was terrible and that scene certainly helped in me forming that judgement. I thought the scene was distasteful and poorly written and didn't deliver what i'm sure it was meant to do. So yeah i dropped that after the episode 1 and its probably the worst anime of the year for me.

Also its not really surprising that anime in the past were more messed up, hell if were talking about 80's OVA's then i can direct you to shows about bestiality and pedophilia. Goblin slayer is pretty tame and i more have issue with its lazy and distasteful use of a rape scene as well as its complete failure to be a messed up dark fantasy show.

If you want a dark and messed up show, something like Aggretsuko does a far better job at that then Goblin Slayer.

Obviously just my opinion and i am happy to expand my points further and in more depth if people care for it.

Lycinius

The way it was depicted was quite tame. One of the top comments pretty much sums it up:

I was expecting this to be a lot worse. Not that it wasn't bad. It was. And thats good. I was expecting it to be like... fan service-y and shit. Which is NOT how rape should be presented. (I mean...there's hentai but thats a whole other can of worms.)But that's not what happened. It was a genuinely heart wrenching depiction of sexual assualt to demonstrate how vile the goblins are. Which makes sense.

Why are people losing their minds over this? Cause it makes them uncomfortable? I think that's kinda the damn point. The goblins are supposed to be violent, disgusting creatures. And they showed that. Nobody in their right mind would find this titalliating.

The entire scene was well portrayed in the sense that I, as the viewer, could feel the tension and anguish of the characters. In the end, those viewers that drop the anime based on a single scene are missing out.

AliceLilit

Having watched the scene the real problem I see is users discussing its masturbatory worthiness. And there's no value nor good reason to compare one rape to another to figure out which was worse -- rape is "more messed up" already, it is a horrid act, so the focus is on how it is being used in a story to show that it is.

If we're looking for a realistic interpretation of the horrors done to female captives, and males usually by other men, and the long term consequences then Goblin Slayer isn't it. Here rape is being used as a transgression device to shock viewers and that's it. Looking at the steps it is an awful convenience that the biggest and strongest Goblin only shows itself once all but one are defeated to set up a rape scene. The characters are also killed off one by one while the others are conveniently uninvolved. Going further the character raped was shown in silhouette to be repeatedly stabbed, making sounds as such just prior to the scene in question, but not a mark from that attack is on her when she is shown again. Having the character being bloody and half dead while raped probably wasn't too "appealing" to the creators as such a step of continuity would be going too far for them.

We don't see rape happen but the implication of what we're shown and the auditory depiction of what happens, along with the quick cut to showing the character with dead eyes, we know what happened. So even without the direct visual we know what happens is horrid and is not any less horrid because we don't see it -- it's still rape. The closest was rape.

A big misconception that many have and that is perpetuated by the scene with by Goblin licking its lips, is the concept that rape is always sexual when it isn't. The act is inherently sexual but the motivations often are not. Often rape is an act of control, domination, one believing they have a right, torture and so on. The scene needlessly sexualizes the act further, we know the mechanism already.

Another issue with the scene is that it perpetuates the stereotype of rapists being obvious "monsters" (a creation to hide away human behavior in that people don't want to acknowledge it). Rapists are often the least suspecting person someone knows, someone that another, especially victims, have known for a long time without harm being done to them. The fact is that many rapes and sexual assaults are often committed by someone the victim knows and rapists come from all walks of life.

Without the particular moment the Goblins still come across as horrid and vile creatures, justifying the characters fear and hate for them.

The question of "was the scene blown out of proportion?" goes back to my first paragraph though I also don't know what people said about it. And here it wouldn't be just how they're saying what they say but of what is being said.

My opinion is that the act is horrid and this shows use of is typically horrid. Yes, it's transgression and shocking, disturbing and horrid, and the viewer does receive a repulsive response.

With writing and creative presentation different questions are asked then would be in a real life situation and I don't believe the scene holds up to those questions.

Asinine

When does your book come out?

mir308

Adding a graphic scene to animation is just the studio and directors understanding their medium and knowing that their medium can present better than other forms of media can (in that respect, I applaud them for the scene for depicting how vile and dark it is from my understanding). If I look at it from the creator's vision, I'm pretty confident my series was marketed to those who enjoy dark fantasy. I think it more has to do with people going into the first episode with the wrong expectations like it was going to be another docile action, adventure series but ended up being traumatic and scarring.

That said weren't there quite a few series with themes of rape involved during 2018?