AWC: Chinese Zodiac Challenge
Chinese Zodiac Challenge
Happy New Year! - 新年快乐 - xīn nián kuài lè
To celebrate the Chinese New Year and to welcome the new spring, we present the Chinese Zodiac Challenge.
In ancient China, the Jade Emperor invited all the animals to a banquet. He declared that the 12 years on the calendar would be named after each animal in the order they arrived. In this special @AWC challenge, the zodiac animals are also represented by different anime genres! We hope the new year brings you happiness, prosperity and lots of quality time to spend watching anime. Good luck!
Each anime must be a minimum of 60 minutes (total runtime)
There is no time limit to complete this challenge
- You cannot use the same anime to fulfill multiple requirements within the challenge
- You can use any number of anime from other challenges
- You cannot use speed watching to complete this challenge
Speed watching is watching an anime at 2x speed / 3x speed, etc. This goes against the spirit of these challenges which is to introduce you to anime you may not have watched otherwise
- You cannot rewatch anime for this challenge
- You cannot use anime you have previously completed
- You cannot use anime you have previously started
- The challenge start date is considered the day you post
- Your profile must be set to public so we can verify your anime list and activity
- Post a reply in this forum when you start the challenge with the code we have provided below
- You can keep track of your progress through editing your submission here, or update it when you are finished
- Please use the code we have provided for your challenge submission. You can edit it however you want as long as it includes the same information
- You can find the challenge code here: Chinese Zodiac Challenge Code. Fill out the portions in red text only to keep code formatting
- When you have fulfilled all of the requirements for a challenge, please post a link to your final submission in the Challenge Submissions forum post
You can get a link by clicking on the link icon on your forum reply. Post that web address as a comment to the challenge submissions forum. This makes it easier for reviewers instead of looking through multiple forums for submissions
Formatting for challenge submissions must include the following information:
- Start: DD/MM Finish: DD/MM Challenge Requirement: Link with Anime Title Additional information
Submissions using non-forum formatting will no longer be accepted. This means outside spreadsheets or documents will not be reviewed.
We now have an AWC Recommendation bot - and it is enabled for this challenge!
Have you been having a hard time trying to figure out which anime would fit which challenge requirement?
Fret not! The bot is here to help you. Here's what you need to do:
1. Type in your reply as usual - you can leave the anime entries empty or as placeholders for now
2. On a new line anywhere in your message type-in the following: Opt-In
3. The phrase “Opt-In” must be in bold and have the dash between opt and in
The bot will periodically check for opt-ins (this process may take a number of hours). Once it sees your entry it will check for all anime in your Plan to Watch list and advises you (in the form of a reply) on which of your anime fit a given requirement (if any). As a bonus, the app will also check your Completed anime list for Easy-Mode challenge completion.
This bot is still in beta. This comes with the usual baggage... Here's the fine-detail that you should know:
1. Accuracy: The bot can only recommend anime for a predefined list of requirements. Some (or all) of the requirements have to be selected manually. Any (or all) recommendations provided by the bot should be double-checked before setting them up in the challenge.
2. Liability: The bot (and the AWC staff) cannot be held responsible for your failing to meet any requirement as per the bot suggestion(s). Neither can they be held responsible for the bot's failure to provide recommendations or for any possible malfunctions (no reply / multiple replies etc).
3. Availability: The bot may be taken down at any time during the challenge - with and without any prior announcement. This is especially likely if any severe bugs are discovered.
4. Feedback: Constructive-criticism is welcomed and greatly appreciated. This does not guarantee in any way that your suggestion will make it through. If you have any feedback please talk to us on Discord or message TrapperHell or Lazareen
1. Rat: Watch a “Psychological” or “Thriller” anime that began airing in the year of the Rat
- 2020, 2008, 1996, 1984, 1972, 1960, etc. (List of years)
2. Ox: Watch an “Action” anime that began airing in the year of the Ox
- 2021, 2009, 1997, 1985, 1973, 1961, etc. (List of years)
3. Tiger: Watch an “Adventure” anime that began airing in the year of the Tiger
- 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962, 1950, etc. (List of years)
4. Rabbit: Watch a “Slice of Life” anime that began airing in the year of the Rabbit
- 2011, 1999, 1987, 1975, 1963, 1951, etc. (List of years)
5. Dragon: Watch a “Fantasy” or “Supernatural” anime that began airing in the year of the Dragon
- 2012, 2000, 1988, 1976, 1964, 1952, etc. (List of years)
6. Snake: Watch a “Horror” or “Ecchi” anime that began airing in the year of the Snake
- 2013, 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965, 1953, etc. (List of years)
7. Horse: Watch a “Sports” anime that began airing in the year of the Horse
- 2014, 2002, 1990, 1978, 1966, 1954, etc. (List of years)
8. Sheep: Watch a “Music” or “Mahou Shoujo” anime that began airing in the year of the Sheep
- 2015, 2003, 1991, 1979, 1967, 1955, etc. (List of years)
9. Monkey: Watch a “Comedy” anime that began airing in the year of the Monkey
- 2016, 2004, 1992, 1980, 1968, 1956, etc. (List of years)
10. Rooster: Watch a “Mecha” or “Sci-Fi” anime that began airing in the year of the Rooster
- 2017, 2005, 1993, 1981, 1969, 1957, etc. (List of years)
11. Dog: Watch a “Romance” anime that began airing in the year of the Dog
- 2018, 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970, 1958, etc. (List of years)
12. Boar: Watch a “Drama” or “Mystery” anime that began airing in the year of the Boar
- 2019, 2007, 1995, 1983, 1971, 1959, etc. (List of years)
13. Cat: Watch a Chinese anime
Master AWC Post
AWC FAQ Post
AWC Submission Post
AWC Challenge Discussion / Suggestions
If you are having a difficult time finding an anime to fulfill a certain requirement, feel free to ask in our Challenge Discussion Forum, ask us on Discord, or ask a fellow AniList member for a recommendation.