Fire Force - Episode 8 Discussion

Mator
If you didnt drop after the last episode you should probably drop now. This episode was pretty fucking bad. Ill clarify with some details: The villain is absolute shit. Extremely cringe no development entirely unlikeable. Villains dont have to be likeable but if youre going to make your audience hate your villain it should be done intelligently rather than simply creating a psychotically deranged character. The final scene was so predictable the show telegraphed it from a mile away. The entire episode was just a giant pile of tropes and had basically no original ideas or storytelling to speak of. The way Maki gets the shit beaten out of her without resisting at all when she is also a capable fire soldier where her opponent is literally just kicking her without using any powers at all diminished her character to nothing more than a damsel in distress when previous character development suggests shes more than just that. Its incredibly sad to see characters diminished to the oldest tropes in the book in a way that actually breaks from how they were previously established. Honestly Ive never used this word to describe a scene in anime but this scene seemed very misogynistic to me. I cringed into the next dimension watching it. The animes tasteless contrast of incredibly childish/immature characters and incredibly dark disturbing imagery is absolutely disgusting. It cant decide what it wants to be and what audience it wants to appeal to its like putting mustard on oatmeal. Dont get me wrong this can be done properly i.e. Madoka but this show does not do it right. Nonexistent themes garbage character development inconsistent plot etc. E.g. the villains introduced several episodes ago havent been mentioned or considered by any of the characters at all. The show introduced them only to have everyone forget they existed. I have no idea what the show is trying to say because its literally saying nothing. The closest thing to a theme is dont give up be a hero but that theme is stupid even for shounen and was only really a central focus in two episodes so I have no idea to be honest. Random introduction of insects these come completely out of left field arent believable and serve no purpose other than to achieve a gut reaction in the audience. Wasted screentime with meaningless dialogue and incredibly obvious stalling. etc. etc. etc. The whole thing is just incredibly bad.
42 Replies