I don't think I'm alone in the fact that one glance at the title of this anime sets off a lot of red flags. It seems like it's going to be another creepy, one-sided, wish fulfillment fantasy for otakus who can't get a girlfriend. You know what I'm talking about.

Thankfully, it doesn't even hint to go in that direction. This anime is about four friends, and all of them are nerds.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii was written for nerds, and the writers know their target audience well. Specially 20-something year old nerds who have worked in an interactive workplace. Any working class nerd can probably relate to this: trying to find nerdy friends at work without being too obvious about it, with the issue of other nerds doing the same thing. You want to relate to others about your passions, but you also don't want to make yourself out to be the office weirdo.

Although this is a romance between two of the characters, it's really about a group of four nerdy coworkers and what they do when they hang out together. The show isn't set over any specific period of time, it just shows times when they hang out.

It's a cute show, and definitely worth a watch. There's really not much to it, but it's cute.

One of the best aspects of this show is that it doesn't explain anything. It assumes you are a nerd if you're watching this, and doesn't explain any of the nerdy references, or what they're doing, so I wouldn't recommend this if you're not into gaming, anime, manga, or whatever. The fact that you're reading this review means that you're most likely at least one half the target audience. Congratulations!

Really, my only gripe is that when I say this anime is about these four friends, I mean that there's barely even other humans in this universe. The world feels hollow, as episodes exclusively show times they hang out together. They do not interact with other people, which would have been a great opportunity to flesh them out and see how they interact with acquaintances who aren't nerds or friends.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii isn't the best anime out there, but if you're apart of its target audience (20-something year old working class nerds), I implore you to at least give it a shot. It definitely reminded me of how I met my work friends and got a few laughs out of me. The characters seem more realistic than most characters in this genre, which surprised me.