The second season of March Comes in Like a Lion still seems insufficient if you just leave a sentence or rating. I think this show doesnt deserve a 9 rating in MyAnimeList or even 10. Its deserved more than any show. A representation of how life runs in such a spinning wheel. There are so many problems that arise from the outside and from the inside. However the tragedy shows thousands or even infinity of beauty in this show. While the first season is more visual poetic and portraying slowburning of Rei Kiriyamas feelings the second season more to delightful interaction between characters with realistic yet soft mood tone. The show is like magnolia filled with so many things many melancholic feelings depressing powerful yet raw emotion about humans. The second season centered on Rei Kiriyama after fighting depression now gets what he really deserved. He no longer tried to hide or sink in the deepest seafloor. However he tried to open himself to the people he loved and whom he met. This time he was the one who tried to reach out to the hands who had fallen in the sea. He saved many peoples lives unconsciously but the real problem came. The real world is now trying to block him but there are many more besides that. March Comes in Like a Lion centers on the Shogi game which is still focused on Rei trying to rise to a higher rank. But the main story of this season focuses more on Kawamoto sisters especially Hinata. Hinata must face horror and terror of a bully in her class. It brings this kind of serious theme seriously attracts you faster than in the first season. While the first season focuses more on indepth character development with slowburning pace the second season is so fast. The show tackled this issue in a different way but with more honest and raw feeling. Most shows sometimes discuss bully as its subtext but the impression is much more a side plot. Not too serious and doesnt leave an impression. Unlike this show it left you impactfully with this issue. Not really such complex when we talk about bullying but this is a serious issue when talking about reality. The show represents the antagonists though in a deep way not only focusing on Hinatas point of view. Megumi Takagi is the bully but we can hear her the reason why she did it. Both Hinata and Megumi display their amazing yet powerful visual characterization. There is a reason behind the bully. Relationships with her parents who seem to continue to pressure themselves. Clearly she suffers from the mentality and a bad point of view about life. It gives us a reason although it is also wrong we can still hear why escapism and outlet is the main key. In this case its very clear we are more easily sympathetic to Hinata. She is like a fragile queen you want to hug her but you are afraid she will break because of her fragility. Hinata is also the helping hand of Rei who also has the same experience with Hinata. However Hinata stood up against it rather than covering her mouth ears and eyes. For this reason Rei helped her as much as possible from behind trying to inspire her and pulling her from the deepest depressed ocean. It creates a close and bond to the first season. There is something jarring but they still feel happy when I see them both helping and need each other. However Rei was her hero here and the fragile queen deserved it. Another thing with this show besides Hinata as well is Akari. In the first season Akari is a hero to Rei who always helps him. Like a person who found a cat who was hungry on the ground and took him home. But we dont know how that smile can make it up in first place and become an ensconce for Hinata. In some way we are also easy to sympathize with her besides she is the shoulder of all his younger siblings. But still not enough to recover Hinatas depression. It makes her not just a character but her emotion and feeling why she doesnt just become a likable character. We feel her emotion in herself and again Rei is also trying to pull her from the downturn. Clearly the show was centered on Kawamoto sisters. Even Momo is a glitter of gold you dont want to see her upset too. The show is like a roller coaster of emotion. Sometimes you get this serious issue but sometimes you get this comedy and the slice of life kind of show with too many sweets. This season also for the first time shows the dynamic between Rei Kiriyama and Souya Touji. Seeing the first time meeting face to face while talking through Shogi is just amazing. They both show a breathtaking visual without words but the dynamic between them is one that makes it even more interesting. We also see how Souyas gray life has a reason behind it. People always call him a monster but we dont know what is in his head. But he is just a lonely king not because he wants to be alone but the world makes him have to be. We see this from Reis point of view of why he rarely talks and why he is difficult to listen around him. There is an amazing side moment as well between Shimada and Yanagihara. Their Shogi match is spectacular in terms of visual imagery. But there is more than the game. What I love about them is whats behind them and their determination of both characters. Especially Yanagihara a Shogi player who still survives in his class. It gives you an example of how life continues to spin and spin whether there are many people who disappear or we who disappear. So does Shimada show them both of his weight in Shogi. Their match isnt just a chess game but its about sacrifice. It put stakes to their life dont know who we deserve rooting here. But one of them will surely lose yet we dont know who. There are some characters that arent too discussed including the relationship of Gotou Kyouko and Rei actually. At a glance we only see a little but sympathize with Gotou for the first time. Almost all of the characters in this show have their own emotions and problems making us empathetic with everything from one point of view to another. Nikaidou including became a benchmark for Reis action in fighting kind of problems within him. This season also tells more about Nikaidous backstory what his illness really is and why he really loves Shogi. Both Rei and Nikaidou have something in common such as Shogi as a dedication to their lives. The difference is it shows them in a unique way from the relationship between the two of them. As the show end we see Rei from another perspective narrated to the person he loves the most. It concludes what drives Rei actually and what makes him a kind person. After that for some reason there is a strong connection between the audience and Rei Kiriyama including the characters in this show. His journey faces all kinds of relatability complexity psychology pressure illness emotion and fragility. Finally one question from each of our minds arises. Would be there a third season? Shaft is one of my favorite studios. They explore its storytelling in a unique way whether its comedy anime romance or whatever it is. March Comes in Like a Lion has a poetic reflection in this real life. But the show shows it in a powerful way especially the reflection of these characters. It has gorgeous backgrounds with so many styles and in some scenes there are no dialogues and words. Just a silent image as the feeling of these characters. The show is also supported by the melancholic soundtrack. Sometimes depressing sometimes happy and sometimes silence. It brings you so many things in yourself whether youre crying laughing angry or happy. The acting is overthetop as the first season. Because of this composition the visual works very well to the story. March Comes in Like a Lion is a study of human emotion including depression but the second season mostly discusses it in raw it has an impact on you too. This show is about emotion helping each other and reaching out to each other. Not only solve the problem alone but you must also have ensconced when you want to solve the problem. Its one of the best shows in terms of escapism so raw so emotional. Every episode and arc makes you cry happy but also angry. In some way this show deserves more attention than the first season.