AniList 2016 Survey Results

Josh
Big thanks to everyone who submitted feedback via our survey. We got 661 responses in total and the feedback given has definitely helped us make a good plan regarding the priorities of future site improvements and features. In the main post of this thread Ill be going through the statistical response and in the comments well be replying to the written feedback. We replied to almost every written response outside of duplicates but their were a lot of written responses so there might have been the odd one we missed. Feel free add new questions if you feel we missed yours or reply to our responses if you would like more detail. http://i.ur.com/9o64gpC.png Overall this is a really great response were happy to know the large majority of people are happy with the current state of AniList. I definitely feel AniList is in a good place now but still has a lot of areas where it can be improved the majority of users also seem to agree with this by selecting 4. http://i.ur.com/MZb22Ct.png More user statistics and achievements clearly win out in this one so theyll be our priority above streaming episode embeds and user news/blogs. It makes sense for us implement more user statistics before achievements as a lot of achievements will be based off of these stats and stats marginally won out over achievements so this works well. More user statistics and achievements will be our priority for new features but you might see streaming episode links come a bit earlier while were still working on the other features in the background as streaming episode links will be a fair bit easier/quicker to implement compared to the others. http://i.ur.com/N7vwBLL.png Anime/Manga lists was the clear winner here with 48 for being a site based all around updating your lists its actually one of the features that gets the least amount of love from a development point of view. The amount of data in lists often makes it a bit hard to work on but regardless of that lists will be one of our highest priorities for feature improvements going forward. Please note that the majority of these improvement will only be coming to the new lists with some back ported to the legacy lists at a later date. Legacy lists are a fair bit harder to work with and we have to be super mindful of not breaking users list css so not all features/improvements will be able to be implemented there. General site data is next up with 43 this one has always been a bit of an issue for us regardless of how many data mods we have there is simply way too much data for a small team to be able to keep it all consistently up to date. Our mod/submission tools could definitely be improved which would help speed things up a bit and that is something were working on currently but even then we really need the help of our community to submit data when things are incorrect or outdated. We may do another mod run sometime soon but probably not until after the new mod/submission tools are complete. Next up is Browse with 34.7 we have some plans on how to improve browse merging with search some small qol things but nothing really major so I would love to here some feedback for specific things users feel need to change with browse. Character/staff pages is slightly behind browse with 34.3. Character/staff pages hadnt seen any updates in over a year so it was definitely something I wanted to work and this past week I did. The new pages are still a bit of a work in progress and have some small issues but they should be ironed out shortly. I imagine a lot of these responses were more regarding the data site of character/staff pages and less so the design so again the same thing as the general site data issues. Most of the remaining results are fairly equal so I wont comment on them here as a lot of them will be commented on in the comments section but for the most part we will be prioritising site improvements in the order provided from your feedback. I forgot to add search to this but considering the responses from other sections its likely that search would have been pretty high up here we made a small update to search recently but we definitely have more plans to improve search further and it is a fairly high priority. http://i.ur.com/rrBpD8A.png Improvements win out here so theyll be a higher priority for us. Something I would like to note is that I work on AniList in my spare time outside of uni and as Id rather not burn out on AniList work altogether from doing nothing but improvements I will work on some new features in between as theyre a bit more fun to do. http://i.ur.com/Ft82meY.png Not too many surprises here but definitely helps us prioritize feature improvements. Would love to see the discord/view chat percentage go up a bit if you ever feel the AniList community is a bit lacking check out the discord as that is where a lot of the sites discussion goes on. http://i.ur.com/tgWzWHO.png A really good number of people said they would donate and that amount should definitely cover a lot of our costs though probably not enough to employ a full time developer at the moment. Monthly donations would definitely help a lot more here as they would allow us a stable monthly income so we can plan for the future and not be worried about paying the bills each month. There were a few written responses that were a bit worried regarding how we would handle donations and our current ads so Ill comment on that here. Presently there is a single ad at the bottom of most pages that assists in covering running costs and I feel its the best implementation to have without ruining the overall user experience. Donations would purely offer cosmetic additions badges and stuff no features would be locked out for nondonators. If in the long term the donation system doesnt work then there may need to be additional advertising on the website. However we really dont want to put it above two per page and will still try to keep them as unobtrusive as possible.
198 Replies