Anime Watching Club Challenge Suggestions / Discussion

Lazareen

We Have a Website Now!

Check it out and bookmark it for a one stop location for all AWC challenges!

Anime Watching Club Challenge Suggestions / Discussion

This forum thread is for the AniList community to post any ideas / suggestion you have for the Anime Watching Club. This can include ideas for new challenges, challenge requirements, rules, graphics for badges, upcoming events, or just general discussion about anything and everything related to the Anime Watching Club.

We may not use every suggestion we are given, or it may take some time for us to implement new ideas, but we love to hear from the community on how to make the Anime Watching Club even better.

Want to learn more about the AWC challenges?
AWC Website

44 Replies
nekomisumi

I don't know if the October challenge is already prepared, but if it is, won't be better to post her today in order to fill it out and be prepared for tomorrow's watching? :)

Kenshina
Donator

I second that :)

tinyraccoon

Who's the character on the October challenge badge? Looks a lot like Oryx from Destiny, but I'm sure that can't be it because not anime.

BarefootKommando

It's Akira from Devilman Crybaby

Lazareen

BarefootKommando is correct.

KaseiRin

I feel like always having to start the monthly challenge entries within the month is a bit restrictive. Near the end of the month, it makes me not want to start anything new in case I could have used it for the next challenge. Maybe there could be a "cleanup" month every so often that allows you to finish shows you've already started? Or you could be allowed a limited number of "previously started" entries, or have a buffer of a few episodes (or a percentage) before it counts as previously started?

Kondor

We were actually just talking about this pretty recently. We might have something soon to help alleviate this in some capacity. Details and specifics haven't been determined yet, so all I can say is to make sure you read through the rules with the next challenge we drop.

Removed

[Removed]

Lazareen

It's listed in the FAQ:

Raobihr

For the new Code Generator and the Codes in general, I think it would be easier if they used #.) Instead of just #.
With the way it is now, when you use the new Code Generator for just easy It will post it like:

4. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch an anime with the tags: Psychological AND Thriller Steins;Gate
5. Start: 2018/09/22 Finish: 2018/09/22 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with the format of TV Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
6. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with a format other than TV Mahou Shoujo Madoka\u2605Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari
7. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime rated 70% or above on AniList Zankyou no Terror
8. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime rated 69% or below on AniList Kara no Kyoukai: Shuushou
9. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime where the source is listed as manga Death Note
10. Start: 2018/10/13 Finish: 2018/10/14 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with a source other than manga Serial Experiments Lain Source: Original
16. Start: 2017/12/05 Finish: 2017/12/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime which began airing in 2004 or before Koukaku Kidoutai
20. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with 13 or more episodes Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
23. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime that begins with a letter between: A-L Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
26. Start: 2017/11/30 Finish: 2017/11/30 Watch a Psychological / Thriller that takes place in a cyberpunk or dystopian setting Koukaku Kidoutai Arise: Ghost In The Shell - Border:1 Ghost Pain _Character Name: _

Which is fine when it is in the Spoiler but if you want it out in the open it reorders the numbers such as:

1. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch an anime with the tags: Psychological AND Thriller Steins;Gate
  2. Start: 2018/09/22 Finish: 2018/09/22 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with the format of TV Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
  3. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with a format other than TV Mahou Shoujo Madoka\u2605Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari
  4. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime rated 70% or above on AniList Zankyou no Terror
  5. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime rated 69% or below on AniList Kara no Kyoukai: Shuushou
  6. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime where the source is listed as manga Death Note
  7. Start: 2018/10/13 Finish: 2018/10/14 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with a source other than manga Serial Experiments Lain Source: Original
  8. Start: 2017/12/05 Finish: 2017/12/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime which began airing in 2004 or before Koukaku Kidoutai
  9. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime with 13 or more episodes Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
  10. Start: 2018/10/05 Finish: 2018/10/05 Watch a Psychological / Thriller anime that begins with a letter between: A-L Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
  11. Start: 2017/11/30 Finish: 2017/11/30 Watch a Psychological / Thriller that takes place in a cyberpunk or dystopian setting Koukaku Kidoutai Arise: Ghost In The Shell - Border:1 Ghost Pain _Character Name: _

Which can be a pain if you want to separate Easy from Normal/Hard because the normal code also auto-reorders the numbers, and there are some numbers that ask for images so you can't spoiler the whole things unless you move that around. So I think using #.) would be better, especially now with the code generator out which make it easy to do the easy part.

Nymh

Thank you for reporting this. I took your suggestion and it is fixed now.

tinyraccoon

That is true. My work around has been to manually replace the period after each number with a close parenthesis, so numbers need not be sequential, like so:

1) Attack on Titan
3) Boku No Hero
8) Steins;Gate
15) Madoka Magica
19) Goblin Slayer

so on, so forth

@nymh

Nymh

I'm pretty sure I fixed it, can you tell me what section of it is still using a period.

Harsane

I have a challenge suggestion, or a requirement at the very least : a "rewatch challenge". I think people miss out a lot on rewatching, they go from anime to anime but looking back can really bring a new perspective.
I think it could be very fun to have a whole challenge, with requirements like rewatching your favorite/least favorite anime , the usual genres/studio/time categories and things like that.
Since Anilist more or less has an option to rewatch animes from the completed list I think this is feasible.

Kondor

Just a heads up that we see this and we have taken note of it. A similar sentiment came up in the discord recently, too. That being said, it is just an idea for a future challenge right now. Since rewatches are allowed for our genre challenges, a pure rewatch challenge isn't as high up on our priority list as the challenges we know we're going to bring to y'all over the coming months or as some of the ideas we have that aren't even as developed for further down the line. It definitely is in our idea bank, though.

Asceken

If i finished the Hentai Hard Mode challenge, i should get all three badges right?
Screenshot :
I only took one though :C. Please correct me if am wrong

TheAffico

What about a challenge with short episode duration?
Like:

1. Watch an anime with episode duration of 20 minutes and under.
  2. Watch an anime with episode duration of 15 minutes and under.
  3. Watch an anime with episode duration of 12 minutes and under.
  4. Watch an anime with episode duration of 10 minutes and under.
  5. Watch an anime with episode duration of 8 minutes and under.
  6. Watch an anime with episode duration of 5 minutes and under.
  7. Watch an anime with episode duration of 3 minutes and under.
  8. Watch a special to anime you already watched with episode duration of 10 minutes and under.
  9. Watch an anime that someone recommend to you with episode duration of 10 minutes and under.
  10. Watch an anime with your favorite genre with episode duration of 15 minutes and under.
    Etc.
Power27

Not sure if this is planned but like we have Genre Challenges i would say the next option would be Character Challenges.
So Characters with Glasses, or Facial Hair (Like on November Challenge) Or Kids, Certain Hair Colour, they could be just 10 challenges for it or longer.

That is my suggestion for now

Lazareen

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll add it to the AWC Staff board. ♥️

IamMe

What is the rational behind the runtime requirements? The concept itself and which shows get which length.

Super biased context: I'd much prefer to enjoy 60 minutes of Iyashikei, hot spring and food than to slog through 60 minutes of fantasy and Mahou Shoujo.

P.S. I think "around 30/60" would make it less clunky. There was a special that was 58 minutes in length I'd like to watch but it doesnt count =(

Lazareen

It's dependent on the total amount of anime that is available for a certain requirement. Some things like "watch an anime with a hot springs scene / episode" we want to make sure there is enough anime available that people do not struggle to find something. Everyone has their own preferences on genres. The time requirements for monthly challenges are being reworked for the December challenge, so these things may change.

IamMe

Suggestion for the spring cleaning:
Subpar!
Watch a series with a mean score lower than 5

Lazareen

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to our challenge ideas pool ♥

IamMe

Does anything on AniList count? Some consider anime strictly to be japanese productions, some even say it has to be 2D. But AniList also documents chinese and taiwanese products as well as puppeteering and claymation Specific Entry in question

P.S. would a 58 minute piece also count for the 60 minute requirement?

EDIT: solved on discord "- ̗̀Moy Rustang ̖́-Today at 8:00 PM
so long as the requirements fit with it, anything on AL is allowed"

EDIT2: solved on discord: does it have to be 60 minutes or would 58 minutes cut it too?

• ̗̀Moy Rustang ̖́-Today at 8:01 PM
    it has to be 60
LordLewdGrade

Is a mahou shoujo challenge something that could be considered? I’d enjoy doing that one after I’m finished with my current. Though a lot of them look fun! Looking forward to manga especially.

Kondor

Mahou Shoujo is it's own genre, so it's on the planning board as we work on finishing up our Genre Challenge series.

LordLewdGrade

Brilliant! I was hoping it would be in the pipeline for a genre challenge.
Also thinking a long way ahead, will Hentai be getting a ‘Mastery’ badge like some of the other genre challenges?

Kondor

All of the genre challenges will be getting a Mastery badge, they're just still a work in progress. We have a few different ideas being thrown around for it, and we'll start designing them once we've settled on an idea we like.

IamMe

Can you start multiple Advent Calendar anime and then drop the ones you don't like or do you have to lock yourself in on one show.

MasterHavik

My challenge should be an easy one.
Watch all five of these shows dub and rank them from best and worst. I also want you to highlight an actor or actress you thought did the best among the cast in your breakdown along with who did the worst.

Here are the five anime dubs.

-Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
-Hells
-Jojo Part 1 and 2
-Ninja Nonsense
-Kill la Kill

BarefootKommando

Nice shitpost

MasterHavik

What if I were to tell you, I'm being fully serious? It's a challenge after all. Are you up for it?

BarefootKommando

You really are insufferable

Moha

Thank you for the suggestion, but sorry, we are not up for challenges with specific anime, especially like these, as there is a high chance that some people already watched those, and maybe even in dub. AWC goal is to introduce you to new great anime that you could have never watched before. Also, there is no real relation or theme that would join the requirement selection.

MasterHavik

Hmm....okay I'll rework it then with lesser known titles.

BarefootKommando

Bruh

MasterHavik

Also dude leave me alone. Now, you're looking to start something.

Moha

Sorry, but just as I've said, the whole challenge format would not succeed with AWC's goal.

MasterHavik

ok