AniList New Submission System Release

Josh

New Submission System & Manual

This is the initial release of the second version of the data management system and accompanying manual. The new system is significantly easier to use than the first version. The scope of the manual has also expanded greatly from the original and is the point of reference for all users and moderators.

A #submissions-support channel in the Discord is now open.

We've created a in-depth submission manual to help you get started in submitting data to AniList, check it our here!

New

• Additional sources have been added to the website and all media types can now make use of the field. The new sources are:
    • Doujinshi
    • Anime
    • Novel
      • Any works adapted from full novels caught in the Novel to Light Novel change (see fixed) will have to be manually corrected to the new Novel source.
  • Users can now track the status of their submissions in the new submissions tab of their profile.
  • Characters can now be imported from existing entries (Currently Data Mod only).
    • Staff import will come at a later date.
  • A tools section has been included in the manual.
  • A guide to sourcing information has been included in the manual.
  • A tags guide has been included in the manual.
  • The Mod Tools have been included in the manual.
  • A list of moderators has been included in the manual.

Fixed

• The Novel format is now correctly displayed as Light Novel throughout the website.
  • Character relation will now set Character on the opposite relation.
  • Summary relation will now set Parent on the opposite relation
  • Side Story relation will now set Parent on the opposite relation.

Changed

• Creating Characters, Voice Actors, Staff, and adding Banners are now done through the sub-pages of the anime and manga forms rather than a standalone submission.
  • The Novel source has been renamed to Light Novel
  • Parent relation can no longer be set.
  • The Adaptation relation has been changed so that it now has the opposite relation of Source, to make identifying the the source material easier.
  • Light novel to manga adaptations that previously incorrectly used the Alternative relation will now use Adaptation and Source, being treated the same way as anime adaptations etc.
  • Novels and Web Novels from any accepted country of origin are not eligible to be in the database and any existing entries that have been added over time have been or will be deleted. The only allowed novel type is Light Novel.
    • Effect should be minimal as barely any users track Chinese or Korean web novels on this site, as much better alternatives are available. Professionally published manhua and manhwa are still allowed.
  • The incorrect statement on the previous manual that extra chapters (such as certain prologues, epilogues and .5's) are not included in the total chapter count has been removed.
    • Effect should be minimal as they were still being included where correct.
  • Recommended minimum image dimensions for creating or cropping images have been changed.
  • The doujinshi format has now been replaced by a licensed toggle to specify whether the work is doujinshi.
63 Replies
Nemukhao

Two new opposite relations, 'Contains' and 'Compilation', for linking one-shots into anthology collections and vice versa have been added to the website.

Does this mean that any oneshot collection's individual chapter will exists as individual entry too?

Taluun
mod
Best Friend

Inb4 Lemon swoops in to correct me but this has been allowed and will continue to be allowed but the oneshots will usually only get added if specifically submitted. They aren't really titles we go out of our way to add as we have higher priorities.

Nemukhao

For example: the oneshot link here was published independently as part of https://anilist.co/manga/39403/Love-Letter/

Can that oneshot have a separate page?

Edit: And if so then "Love Letter" should have that oneshot as "compilation" and not the Half&Half series as "alternative", the way it is now, which honestly is confusing as it states a full fledge series is an alternative to an oneshot compilation.

TACTICIANJACK
data mod
Donator

With submissions now live again, I’d like to put out the call for help with adding english (and other language) dub VAs to shows! I’ve been working on adding as many as I can, but many hands make the load lighter. There's already a lot of english dub VAs in the database, so it’s mostly a matter of just attaching them to the right characters and shows. If you're inclined to help out, please do!

How you do it is you just add the character to the cast list (even if they already show up with a Japanese VA), and then add their other language VA to that iteration of the character. AnimeNewsNetwork usually has the dub VAs listed on their wiki page, and Wikipedia also usually has the english dub VA listed next to the Japanese one. If you can include that source link with your submission, that would also be extremely helpful for double checking on our data mod end.

A(n incomplete) list of shows that have english dubs that are not completely on anilist, for starters, if anyone would like to help out right away (crossed out = english dub added!):

3-gatsu no Lion
Akame ga Kill
Amagi Brilliant Park
Ano Hana
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi/ERASED
Chihayafuru
Chihayafuru 2
Darling in the Franxx
Death Parade
Durarara!!x2 Ten
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These
Haikyuu
Haikyuu 2
High School DxD
High School DxD New
High School DxD BorN
High School DxD HERO
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Hinamatsuri
Kokoro Connect
Mirai Nikki
Nanatsu no Taizai
Ore Monogatari
Princess Principal
Shingeki no Kyojin
Shingeki no Kyojin 2
Shingeki no Kyojin 3
Shirayaku?! Ika Musume
Shinsekai Yori
Steins;Gate 0
Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
Tamako Market + Love Story
Tokyo Ghoul
okyo Ghoul Root A
okyo Ghoul:re
okyo Ghoul:re 2
Tsuki ga Kirei
Tsurezure Children
WataMote

Incomplete dub cast list available, added all that were available:

Black Clover
Hataraku Maou-sama
Hunter x Hunter (2011) (still airing)
Little Witch Academia (TV)
Mawaru Penguindrum
Violet Evergarden

DeviI
Yandere

Nice, I'll be looking forward to helping out. :)

Korakys

How does relate to correcting existing errors? Do you have to fill out a whole submission form or just the parts that need changing, or is there an entirely separate process?

I haven't bothered to submit any error correction requests lately because the first one still hasn't been fixed since it was an acknowledged problem two months ago.

IdleSheep
data mod
Donator

You can just submit the parts that need changing, no need to submit the whole entry.

Simply go to the entry you want to fix, hit edit and dit the parts you want and hit submit, we'll then review and approve/deny the changes.

SmilyT1

Love you people

Retui
mod

We love you too! <3

Hakogami

What will you do for other publishing labels such as Shinchou Bunko Nex and Kodansha Tagia which publish books that are the result of light novels clashing with general literature? They don't have illustrations, aside from cover illustrations, and are often not advertised as light novels. However they still have the LN characteristic light writing. In fact even most of Media Works Bunko's works are under this category, which you're allowing.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Do you have examples of ones on the site? Sure they aren't on Dengeki Bunko?

I think the current description sort of covers everything. If the author, publisher or numerous major retailers/reputable sites describe it as an LN, it's an LN.

Hakogami

From Media Works, there is stuff like Biblia Koshodou, Sugaru Miaki's works such as Mikkakan no Koufuku and more, which sources such as Bookwalker consider bungei(literature). They have no illustrations inside.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Ah, you have a good point. They're not considered light novels.

Miaki's stuff seems to be half and half on whether it's referred to as an LN or not. If you have time to point specific stuff out, I can just remove them.

This will be removed (Doesn't help that loads of english sources refer to it as an LN)
https://anilist.co/manga/67979/Biblia-Koshodou-no-Jiken-Techou/

Hakogami

I'll point it out if I come across any.

Hakogami

Okay, after a quick search, I can already see a few titles that don't belong here such as Shiki and Seirei no Moribito. Both are fully fledged fantasy book series. I'll compile a list when I have time tomorrow.

szatanek

I'm pretty sure this one shouldn't be considered a light novel too
https://anilist.co/manga/65149/Shinsekai-yori/

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Will be removed.

Hakogami

https://anilist.co/manga/99620/KimiNoSuizouWoTabetai

Futaba bunko, which is technically a non-LN label. It's marketed as regular YA literature rather than LN, although in the West it's often called a LN. The Western licensor calls it a novel as well. (Although they still try to pitch it to their LN readers by adding it to their LN category)

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Will be removed.

Hakogami

I'm quite conflicted on whether NHK should be counted as a LN or not.

https://anilist.co/manga/35249/NHK/

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

It is not. Published on the Kadokawa Bunko label which is just plain old paperback novels: https://www.kadokawa.co.jp/product/200503000344/

No retailers or elsewhere advertise it as an LN either. The Japanese wikipedia article has thrown it in the 'Light Novels that got an anime' category for whatever reason.

This'll be a fun one to remove...

Edit: https://www.kadokawa.co.jp/product/200109000069/ whatever this is, is categorised as an LN.

Hakogami

Honestly you should just allow any LN-like novel that has an anime or manga adaptation. That'd make a lot of people happy, and make your work a lot easier.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

It would make things harder, not easier. If it was never published as a light novel and never advertised as one, but I kept it as one as its 'sort of like a light novel', then that removes any fine line between normal books and light novels.

Hakogami

With works such as Juuni Kouki, Lollipop or a Bullet that were first published as light novels later republished as general literature, and are no longer published as light novels that line is already quite thin. Not to mention ライト文芸 is a thing and definitely catching on, making the line even harder to draw.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

I've just noticed that entry is dated the 2002 version which is listed as an LN on Kadokawa's on website, as I edited in the status above.

Two versions were published under different kadokawa labels. Finding out the difference out of interest - but the entry can stay.

If something was first published as an LN, any later publication is irrelevant in my eyes.

Hakogami

Two versions were published under different kadokawa labels. Finding out the difference out of interest - but the entry can stay.

I remember an extra afterword lol.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Oh well, at least it can stay.

I accepted the Bokura wa Dokonimo Hirakanai note. Still the same work, no point making a new entry.

Dealt with a similar LN a day or two ago in which the english publication had a few rewrites and for some reason a completely new artist. Same work, in the end. I just added a note, too.

Hakogami

All Seikai entries are bordering LNs, but are called bungei on most websites. Hayakawa also doesn't have any LN labels officially. This is just a straight up SCI-FI novel.

https://anilist.co/manga/35490/Seikai-no-Monshou/

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Yep. Toes the line but out it goes. Only places defining it as an LN are wikipedia and the odd review.

Hakogami

No publisher/label info? Would make this much easier to work with. Just remove every "not-LN" published in that label.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください
Hakogami

Seen that, I meant if you could search by the label/publisher and remove stuff that way.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Oh, misread. It'll be added down the line, but requires adding the info first, so wouldn't really apply.

Hakogami

Also you forgot to lock https://anilist.co/manga/99679 which most definitely isn't a LN.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Oops.

ValerioLyndon
Donator

Loving the look of it at first glance. This should make it a lot easier to edit information. :)

Although I'm curious why there's no "source" field when adding/editing staff/character pages? Either that or I'm totally missing it somehow. I would imagine it'd save a lot of time for the data mods, especially for major changes.

Josh
mod

Just a bit of an oversight for no source box for character/staff editing, I'll add it soon.

nyy

Good changes. Works reasonably well as far as I can tell. Getting some form of staff feedback was long overdue. Only issue I've encountered to far are custom job titles. Editing staff members role might result in the cell getting cleared of its contents (in this case the custom role, e.g. Animation Directo for individual episodes). One needs to operate rather carefully. Safer to navigate and edit the cell with arrowkeys rather than cursor.

Edit1: Just realized. Not sure if this is a bug or if the responsible mod mixed up the covers. According to the submission page it got accepted, but the cover is still the same.

submission:

TACTICIANJACK
data mod
Donator

What might have happened was a mod clicked "approved" for the submission as a whole without having actually approved the specific part you updated. I made a similar mistake myself earlier. I'll change it for real this time now for you.

szatanek

That looks really cool. Certainly worth the wait :)
But I have one small suggestion: I think that "Relations' section of the manual could use some more clarification when it comes to works that are based on novel or other sources that are not in the Anilist's database.

Sometimes it happens that a novel gets both anime and manga adaptations and while both of them are obviously related none of them can be called the 'parent' stroy' of the other. What to do in such situations?

Examples:
https://anilist.co/anime/21291/Joker-Game/
and
https://anilist.co/manga/50419/D-no-Maou/
Both based on the same novel.

Or:
https://anilist.co/anime/13125/Shinsekai-Yori/
and
https://anilist.co/manga/71575/Shinsekai-yori/
Also apparently both being an adaptaion of the same novel.

Should it be an "alternative - alternative' relation then? I guess that would make the most sense but still I think it would be better if it was clarified in the manual.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

If the original source material is something that isn't eligible to be on the site, and multiple works on the site were adapted from it, the alternative <> alternative relation should be used.

It just so happens that switching from alternative to adaptation/source was done in batch (only feasible way) and caused some issues like this that have to be manually fixed.

I'll add a small note in the manual to clarify.

Riuzed

Novels and Web Novels from any accepted country of origin are not eligible to be in the database and any existing entries that have been added over time have been or will be deleted. The only allowed novel type is Light Novel.

• Effect should be minimal as barely any users track Chinese or Korean web novels on this site, as much better alternatives are available. Professionally published manhua and manhwa are still allowed.

There are several Manhuas adapted from Chinese Novels, those will also be deleted? how sad.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

If the manhua is professionally published, then it would be fine to remain on the site. The original source material doesn't have any bearing on what adaptations can be added to the website.

Do you have any examples?

Odjn

I think it would be useful if mods, when leaving suggestions under people's submissions, specified who they actually are so, in case there are doubts or clarifications needed, one knows the specific mod to contact

Niels

I just submitted a change to add the Aqours music videos as relation to this entry;

https://anilist.co/anime/21584/Love-Live-Sunshine/

When it got accepted the relation for the music videos glitched out, the following entries now have double relations:
https://anilist.co/anime/99153/Koi-ni-Naritai-Aquarium/
https://anilist.co/anime/99152/HAPPY-PARTY-TRAIN/
https://anilist.co/anime/99164/Kimi-no-Kokoro-wa-Kagayaiteru-kai/

I'm not sure if this is intended or a bug.

Retui
mod

Thanks! It's been fixed.

MaouGintoki

Wait, what better alternatives are there for chinese Web Novels?
NU?
This isn´t better that´s worse tho. That´s good if you are only reading novels and don´t do anything else.

Like really, you guys are moving backwards instead of forward.
Bad Update, a really bad one.

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Barely any Chinese, Korean or Japanese web novels were being added. The few that were in recent times had a couple readers at most (1-5).

I know that a few users will be unhappy with the decision. But from AL's side when it was being discussed, there was actually no firm understanding to why they were being approved in the first place - as only Japanese light novels should be on the site.

There was a lot of inconsistencies on whether specifically Chinese web novels were being professionally published or not. Plus a pile of issues in which the sole publisher was a sort of semi-reputable company (if you could even say that much about ventures like Wuxiaworld) translating self-published works into new languages.

On Anilist, the professional publisher that picks the work up has to release in the same language as the original work.

MaouGintoki

Eh, still.
You guys are simply moving Backwards.

As for official publisher.
More or less.
Wuxiaworld and Qidian International are english publishers.

Ok fine, there are still offical publisher. For example Qidian.
An example from this one would be The Kings Avatar.
So, this can´t be a reason.
And that kinda shows me, that you mods here aremaybe a bit more clueless.

Hmm fine, I can only complain.
And let out all of my hate and current feelings in a post.

Then again, it won´t change anything, but I will feel better afterwards, like I do now.

As for better alternative name one.
Name a site with the same good Layout as AniList.
Same or mor functions.
Allowing and being tolerant towards chinese and korean Novels and overall series.

MaouGintoki

At the very least. Can I import the list from AniList to Anime-Planet?
It has some kind of lala Layout.

But is much more tollerant towards series.
If you delete chinese and korean series.

Then you at least should introduce such feature.
Otherwsie, it is huge pain in the ass to add them all manually on such sites.
Again, I guess you won´t add such feature.....

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

You can already export your list with the API until a native method is implemented. Eg: https://anilist.co/forum/thread/4381

Kitsu may also be something for you - as I don't think they have many restrictions on what people can upload.

Animangamer

Hello, I read through the Checklist on Music Videos, and it says they are valid as long as "Music videos are permitted as long as there is significant creative control from a Japanese creator. If it is unclear, ask a moderator for advice."

These are written by Jun Maeda (of Clannad, Charlotte, Angel Beats, etc fame) and sung by Nagi Yanagi (popular vocalist for many anime OPs/EDs) and animated with anime images: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owari_no_Hoshi_no_Love_Song#Track_listing

Would these qualify as anime that can be entered into the database? If so, should I list this as a single anime called "Owari no Hoshi no Love Song Album" or each individually? (I assume individually each as they're different and I think there are some songs not in the album? Or I may be mistaken and everything's in this album alone, can't recall ATM)

Youtube example links:

Thanks for the help!

Taluun
mod
Best Friend

I, and others in the mod team after briefly discussing it, personally say no as its more akin to say "an animated comic book" where its panning, zooming, etc from panel to panel but it really doesn't match any colloquial use of the term "animation" in the context we are using it in.

That being said, this isn't some end-all, be-all declaration from above. Feel free to say why you may disagree with the above

Animangamer

Hello and thanks for the response. I do respect your opinions, but I do think some picture dramas are similar to the description of "an animated comic book" with similar basic images and zooming and such that isn't quite like animation/anime.

For example: https://anilist.co/anime/1953/Code-Geass-Hangyaku-no-Lelouch-Picture-Drama/social is in our database

And here's a clip of the picture drama from Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82y_SKy1U6U

Stylistically, I think its pretty different from normal animation as well and is similar in style to the Jun Maeda music videos. But I do respect your opinions and won't fight it if you all think these do not belong in the database.

BlackTino

hi there some way to delete a mistake submission?

Lemon
mod
食べないでください

Not possible at the moment. I removed your earlier submission.

BlackTino

thanks