I think this manga is inspired by this very obscure movie from 1995 that I randomly found, has anyone watched it?

antiacido
Or knows where to watch it? https://letterboxd.com/film/goodbyemovies/ Look the synopsis is very similar: Mother Im going to make a film. I cant accept the death of my beloved mother. I was able to film her while she was fighting the disease but I couldnt film her face when she died. Her love for her mother and her dilemma with herself. I am the one who turns the camera on myself entrusting my wavering feelings to making a film. She moves back and forth between her boyfriend and her sex partner whom she met after being seduced by him while groping for her mother and her reasons for making a film. The film is a semidocumentary about sad reality and me but without a whiff of tragedy or selfdeprecation. In the directors own words I let the film faithfully reproduce my own shaken emotions and it is clear from the screen that he has probably already found the end of my shaken self through this film. Edit: A little bit more about the film according to this pagehttps://www.yidff.jp/docbox/26/box262e.html: Otsuki Natsukos Goodbye Movie Sayonara eiga 1995 part video was another film that stirred commotion for similar reasons. The content is a follows. Otsuki is a student at the Department of Moving Images of some university. Although shes living with someone she starts having sex with another guy who approaches her in the street. While she carries on with this twotiming love affair her mother is hospitalized with terminal cancer. Although her father leaves messages about her mothers critical condition on Otsukis answering machine she does not go back to her hometown. When she receives a call that her mother has died she finally returns home and caresses her mothers dead face. All through the film Otsuki keeps talking as if to herself and almost everything she says is replete with a sense of mortality its sad that all things disappear in the end etc.. She also says that what is not filmed is real the rest is all a lie so it remains a mystery whether the manwoman relationships are true or not and thus this film as well raises the question of fictionality in documentaries. Contrary to the usual selfdocumentary as expos Otsuki was unable to directly film her mother during her illness and hospitalization so her behavior of indulging in a twotiming love affair that is not going anywhere makes us feel reality all the more and this film is unique for the way it shows the limits of expression and the powerlessness of the very act of shooting a film when driven into a corner.
35 Replies