Why People Will Never Stop Making Loli Threads

InkSpider
So if youve been on this site or any other anime site with a forum youve probably noticed that every few months or so we get a new thread where OP talks about the theoretical link between lolicon and pedophilia. This is not one of those threads though it is about thos threads. Hopefully it will not follow the path those threads invariably do which is a bunch of people getting very angry for very suspicious reasons and then the thread getting locked. What I want to talk about is not this tired old argument but why we keep seeing these threads despite the countless times this has come up and despite historical mod action against it. Apologies if what Im saying here is already obvious. The answer in my belief lies in the contrast between the anime subculture and the mainstream culture outside it. Lolicon is part of the anime subculture and whether you embrace it as completely harmless or think its totally disgusting you can only be exposed to itwhether through other fans talking about it or through it popping up in shows you watchso many times before it stops being surprising. At that point even if you hate it youre probably going to run out of things to say about it and thus stop talking. The thing is this takes time. Everyone is new to being an anime fan at some point and if youre not used to lolicon and your attitudes towards the sexualization of children are shaped by nonanime culture lolicon generally looks weird as hell. This is probably the point where someone is going to say one of those things someone invariably says in loli threads But lolis arent real little girls Yeah yeah I know we all know but the fact remains that how audiences react to things in fictional media is often shaped by how they think about those in the real world. If you dont like innocent people being killed irl youre probably gonna dislike the anime villain whos killing loads of innocent peopleor at least root for them to lose. So yeah. People who think the sexualization of little girls irl is gross will often find lolicon really gross too. And as with most strong reactions disgust included theyre probably going to want to express that reaction. So the cycle runs something like this. 1. Normie has little exposure to anime and thinks pedophilia is gross. 2. Normie gets interested in anime. 3. Normie gets exposed to loli shit. 4. Normie gets grossed out. 5. Normie makes a Loli Thread to talk about how grossed out they are. As long as anime and people exist new anime fans exist. And as long as new anime fans exist and mainstream culture agrees that pedophilia is gross new anime fans will keep getting grossed out by lolicon and keep making threads talking about that. This is really just a theory I have to explain an observationnamely the observation that we keep getting is lolicon pedophilia threads. Its not an attempt at evaluation or a call to action. I dont think there really is much action to take here other than shrugging and accepting that new loli threads popping up now and then is just going to be a part of the online anime community for the forseeable future. If youve got an alternate theory or a supposed correction or addition to the idea Ive posed here Im happy to hear your persepctive.
46 Replies