Meet AniTrend (Android App)

wax911

AniTrend v1.3.0   license

Codacy Badge   Build Status   Waffle.io - Columns and their card count

Version 2.0 Work In Progress!! More details will be available as the update progresses :)

Discover anime or manga with AniTrend which is a free AniList android client written in java.(AniTrend does not offer streaming capabilities, but official website links such as Hulu, Chrunchyroll, Netflix will be provided if available)

Big shout out to all the testers, translators and donators on the AniTrend Discord Server helping me keep this project alive!

Feel free to donate the weeb cause with Patreon or PayPal

The AniTrend Road Map (What's Next?)

• AniTrend projects can be found here which will contain a brief description of what a given version number will focus on e.t.c
  • Milestones for each project can also be found here, these are more detailed and show the actual task required to satisfy the project

Known Issues

• Find all issues, feature requests, bugs and project road map here

Documentation

Development documentation for AniTrend is still a work in progress so for the time being on the essentials are available and can be found over at: anitrend.gitbook.io

Screenshots

Dual Application Themes

Dedicated Anime & Manga Pages

Crunchyroll Feeds Integration

Anime & Manga Reviews

More, More & So Much More

122 Replies
Deoran
Donator

Well, I like the interface, it's quite smooth, simple, easy to use and pleasing to the eye (since it basically is following closely to Google's material design thing). Though I will say when clicking on the specific items to view more details, it might be better to have that triggered by clicking either the image or the surrounding text/box that shows the basic information of the show around each entry, rather than only taking you to that page if you click on the cover image. Especially as when you tap outside the image, it still gives a little animation that usually plays in Stock android apps when you click on a button.

It's a small thing, but I actually ended up tapping the whole thing several times, before realizing it only takes you to the page with more information on it if you click the image of the show. Also, you might want to move the little plus button that shows sharing options a bit further up. On Mobile devices, it does look a bit weird that it partially covers the Review tab.

Also, I assume it is a feature to come, but in the Similar tab, with the characters and related anime, you definitely want to let people jump from what they are viewing to one of the related shows (as clicking it down there now does nothing.) Also, you might want to reconsider naming the tab to something other than 'Similar', as it also shows the characters in that tab too.

wax911

Thanks Deoran for the feedback, you're right assuming that the application is incomplete. I'll be adding more features and fixes in the next few releases when I get time after work ;), always great to get feedback. Thanks again!

Josh
mod

Looks really great :)

Same as Deoran I clicked on the cards a fair few times expecting to be taken to the full page but seems like only the tapping on image does that atm.

I think if a show doesn't have a banner image it would be better off to not show anything (like when you scroll down a bit) versus showing the cover image as the banner as that looks a bit messy at 1440p.

Had a few crashes, once on first time going to Occultic;Nine and first time going to about too but both seem fine now. The about page makes my android status bar have a white background for some reason which is the same color as icons. I'm on 7.1.1 beta (nexus 6p) so that might not be an issue with the app though.

wax911

Thanks Josh, I'll see if I can get update my emulator to test for Android 7 I've only got a few devices to test with but this will make testing much better. I'll keep your feedback in mind and make changes in the next update! :)

wax911

@Josh & @Deoran I've made tons of fixes to AniTrend and added a login functionality which will give you a profile page. There are some bugs on the profile page that need fixing. Current goal for now is to get the overall functionality up and running then focus on in depth bug fixes. Could you both check it out and tell me if there are some other things which you think may be changed? Including both performance, look and feel :)

Josh
mod

Sign it worked fine but after I was singed in the Sign In button still showed, after restarting the app it changed to the Profile button. The profile page appears for a split second and then the app crashes. I've sent you the android crash feedback including the system log so hopefully that will help.

wax911

Thanks Josh, much appreciated. Got the feedback and the crash logs, I'll be working on a fix today :) For some odd reason when you do sign-in seems like a quick rotation will change the text from Signin to profile, not sure why this is still happening but I'll take a look at it again. Thanks again!

Deoran
Donator

Yeah, can definitely confirm about the crash a second or two later when viewing the profile page. Most of the chnages are nice, and I am liking thr fact that I can see the reviews (at least in a future build) too.

Apart from that, nothing else seems to be off. Functionality wise, after the fixing the bugs, it works pretty well. Look forward to more updates.

Also, don't know what you plan to add in the future, but since in the glimpse of the profile page it looks like you can view your anime and manga list, once logged in, you might want to add a quick way to get to it straight from the side bar rather then having to go through the profile page. Once that integration is done, it would be nice for the app to open up on a tab automatically showing the shows you are currently watching from your anime list, rather then seasonal anime. Mabye an extra tab called 'Following' or something.

wax911

Thanks Deoran for the constructive feedback, I'll definitely think about placement of the suggestions. I'll Try and add an additional navigation item for Watching (or something like that) I like the idea of having an automatic tab opening once you're authenticated. My next updates will include:

1. View characters details, including the actor
  2. Favoriting of Anime, Manga, Actors/Characters (maybe more?)
  3. Adding of Anime & Manga to your list just like in the website
  4. Follow other users and get notifications on the fly (still need some thinking through regarding notifications)
  5. Nice to have which I might do later on after the basic above features are finished, would be to go into your watching list and select multiple items click on something like update all (this would change the episode number to the latest one, assuming the user is upto date with the listing)
Mars04

Absolutely love the app design! Just solve the sign in and personal profile problems and it is going to be excellent.
I confirm crashes on profile page, i'm on Android 6.0

wax911

Thanks Mars04, I'll be working on the profile issues today as top priority. Keep the reviews coming and any suggestions are always welcome

wax911

Hey friends, ok so i've got some good news! The profile page seems to be stable and a lot of the bugs are also fixed, I'll try and upload a new version in the next few hours after I'm done with some quick tests :).

Oh and you could try signing out of the app aswell if you were signed in previously from the navigation menu. Just to help me test :D

Deoran
Donator

Sign in and sign out works. Noticed that it does occasionally crash at random sometimes in the profile menu, but that might have just been as it was loading the stats and the like for the first time. The Manga and Anime tab on the profile page do not work, and I am getting an error on both the watching page and the Anime page in the profile view. I doubt it's a coding error given the message, but more of a fix that needs to be done.

Looking at the watching error, it looks like the code refuses to work with decimals (as it is looking for an integer, and my list is using fractional numbers (decimal numbers). Might want to make sure it does not look only for an integer since people use different score systems for their lists. Same for the anime list error on the profile. It looks like it all stems from the app expecting an integer or whole number, and not able to work or show a decimal score.

Watching Error

Anime Profile Error (It's cut off at the bottom and I cannot scroll down on the app.)

wax911

Thanks Deoran for the feedback. The crashes that were happening on the profile page previously were caused by some uncaught exceptions, I'll have to look at that specific error you're getting. In the API I know there are different types of scores returned about an item the user is following, either score returns a user's specific score or score_raw returns the converted default integer score value. I'll try changing my scoring system to test this.

wax911

New update uploaded should be up in a few hours! lots of work was done, tried to fix all the possible issues in the past few weeks. Changelog will be in the app or on the play store, thank you all for helping me debug and giving me suggestions, much appreciated! :) enjoy the new year! @Josh I just noticed something strange with new users who sign into the app. The user model of a new user returns empty arrays for:

stats -> status_distribution & probably stats -> score_distribution

Resulting in an error such as:

Expected BEGIN_OBJECT but was BEGIN_ARRAY at line X column XXX path $.stats.status_distribution.anime

I understand that the object creation from the server will automatically generate array JSON objects for empty result sets, so I wonder if there is anyway to work around this on your end and return empty object types to assure safe type conversions on clients?

New User Data Stats Object:
"stats": { "status_distribution": { "anime": [], "manga": [] }, "score_distribution": { "anime": [], "manga": [] } }

VS Existing User With Some Anime or Manga Collections:
"stats": { "status_distribution": { "anime": { "watching": 7, "plan to watch": 83, "completed": 145, "dropped": 5, "on-hold": 14 }, "manga": { "reading": 1, "plan to read": 16, "completed": 0, "dropped": 0, "on-hold": 0 } }, "score_distribution": { "anime": { "10": 0, "20": 0, "30": 0, "40": 1, "50": 16, "60": 46, "70": 46, "80": 26, "90": 21, "100": 0 }, "manga": { "10": 0, "20": 0, "30": 0, "40": 0, "50": 0, "60": 0, "70": 1, "80": 0, "90": 0, "100": 0 } }, "favourite_genres": { "Action": 100, "Comedy": 84, "Adventure": 67, "Supernatural": 58, "Fantasy": 48, "Sci-Fi": 34, "Romance": 31, "Ecchi": 30, "Drama": 22, "Mystery": 16 } }

As you can see the status_distribution & score_distribution inner types are objects and not arrays. Can I suggest not providing the status_distribution or score_distribution when there is not data present as you do with the favourite_genres object which isn't shown until the data is available? Sorry for the long text to read :)

wax911

Worked Around issue, version 0.8.4 has been uploaded! also improved loading speeds of the profile page! What features should I start to work on next?

EOanimeFTW

does it work with myanimelist? I hope it does. It looks nice.

wax911

Thanks :) at the time no, it might be a nice feature to add two providers to select from.

EOanimeFTW

ok. Thank You

Jeevas

It looks very nice! Downloaded and it crashed once but I wasn't paying attention what caused it, will tell you if I find out.

wax911

Thanks @Jeevas that would be really awesome, I saw the bug report in the console, Are you using a Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus? The bug was caused by hitting the back button being pressed while the youtube player was busy initializing. I'll patch that up today! :D Thanks again!! ;)

Jeevas

I think it was a simple mistake or a different user since I'm using Nexus 5, but yeah, I think the bug is the same as the one I had.

Everything else works fine so far. Thanks for the cool app :)

wax911

Oh, haha ok my bad. It was the only bug report on the play console so just made the assumption :p and you're welcome mate! glad you like the app :D

iamChronos

Hey @wax911,

AniTrend is visually pleasing.
I've seen some fixes and I want to share another things:

• By signing out the app crashes (however, when I reopen the app, I can see that the signout was successful); (fixed v0.9)
  • When opening the Extras of a Manga, the Related Manga are appearing in the area of the Related Anime (and the Related Anime aren't appearing at all). (fixed v0.9)
  • Duplicated anime / manga on search. (fixed v0.9.1)
  • Clicking on Profile generates an error message, however it works when openning it by the top side of the nav bar. (fixed v0.9.2R1)

Screenshots:

Keep up the good work ;)

(edited - 01/02/2016)
wax911

Thanks @CallMeChronos really appreciate the kind words :) I'll get around the issues you mentioned sometime today, if you ever have recommendations don't be shy to mention them as well. I'll test the signing out feature, if I remember correctly it should close the application and open it again to complete the sign out process.

wax911

(comment: oh! I put a space before the nick :v) 'before the nick'? Haha you lost me there XD

wax911

Thanks @CallMeChronos I usually don't get notifications when you edit your posts. Really appreciate the support :)

iamChronos

Oh! Okay @wax911, I'll mention you when I find something else. (like how I did now)
You're welcome, it's looking really nice with the new update ^^

wax911

Thanks :) I also realized not clicking the profile image is broken, lol I just made the fix uploading to play store now :'D

sailorsaturn

I just downloaded the app while listening to music and whenever i click on a title in the Discover Anime page (?) the music stops, it also happens in My Anime List. This doesn't happen in the Discover Manga, What's Trending or My Manga List. I'm using Play Music from Google.

wax911

Hi @sailorsaturn, thanks for the feedback, the android operating system always takes priority on foreground apps, so if your device starts running low on memory the Operating System (depending on how much stuff AniTrend has loaded) it will start closing services or background apps (e.g. Google Play Music). Depending on the size of the list items you have the amount of memory consumed will increase. You can lower the image quality by toggling the quality switch to lower image quality of image on the lists (this should reduce the amount of ram used by AniTrend) My assumption you have a device with 1GB or RAM? I'll try to improve this :)

F8

Great app. Here's a .webm of an error or something?
https://my.mixtape.moe/dlygoz.webm
if you don't want to click the link then it's fine.
basically i get this when i refresh the overview tab.

and another one is this, the formating stuff.

the ~~~ is the center thingy and on the app its showing and on the web of course it centers the text.

sorry if it's difficult for you to understand me. I am not very good at explaining things ._.

wax911

Hi @feito, thanks for the detailed examples of the errors really helps!!! :) I'll need to fix the the funny characters there, what happens if you scroll down while you're on your profile overview tab and click the stats area chart?

F8

.webm that demonstrates what i get when i click the stats area chart
https://my.mixtape.moe/mssdao.webm
I get this

Is it me or there is no option for me to view all the anime/manga i've completed?
oh and, it would be great if you can implement a global dark theme, as in, everything is dark and not only some elements are dark. that would be nice. just a suggestion though. :D

wax911

@feito Thanks again! That error message you were getting is caused by not having any items in your favourites, I must've forgotten to take out the code that gives that error message when I was testing. You're right I took out the completed and dropped items for the time being. I've actually been working on a dark theme, but it's taking longer because of how I created the app in the beginning lol, I did something silly (statically added text colors instead of using global declarations).

That's the main reason the app has two themes :) so I test out the dark theme in the profile page. I'll re add the other missing list items in the next releases. I've also been testing out notifications, if your tap the notification 'bell icon' or the text on the navigation drawer that says "X Notifications" you can see them, I didn't announce this since it was just an initial feature release which I still want to finish working on. Thanks for the suggestions though :) really appreciated!

F8

No problem!

wax911

I've got some teasers on the description, check them out and let me know what you think, I've completed the dark theme, added all the other anime and manga lists, all that's left is to iron out a few of the bugs remaining, so update will be available on or before the 31st of Jan :D

F8

just updated the app today and it's a very nice update, i really like the dark theme. I will let you know if i encounter any bugs.

wax911

PAO

Plez make the anime list full featured like completed, dropped and others to thankss... :D

wax911

Then next upcoming version will be here soon! check the updated description!

Renakh

I just started using this app and wanted to mention that I'm not sure if it's done by design but when adding a already airing anime it automatically assumes you're watching it and are up to date on the show (I added fukka on the app to my plan to watch this week and it had it preset to watching and on episode 5) If this is intended it might be better to just assume they are adding it to their plan to watch rather then actively watching it.

wax911

Thanks for pointing that out, I had a check in place for any airing anime and by default the selection would start up at the watching state which generates the previously or currently airing episode. I'll change that as per your recommendation! I'll be release the next version with the major feature updates and optimizations on the 31st :D I'm just trying to sort this one little bug which causes crashes when the app is suspended in the background

PAO

I've been waiting for this thank you!

wax911

You're welcome!! :D

LIame

The app has been crashing an awful lot lately. Am I the only one to have that ? No matter what I do, as soon as I live the main page it crashes.

wax911

Hi Llame, I saw a some strange crashes in playstore bug reports, by any chance do you have a Huawei (t1_8p0lte (hwt1821l) running Android 4.4??? Or Galaxy S7 Edge??? First issue which was surprising came from the Huawei not really application specific from what the logs display, I don't have any device running KitKat so this may be some incompatibility issue with other phone vendors. The issue I saw for the s7 Edge seemed to be the characters page causing a crash, as of now not to sure about the real cause. Maybe a network timeout perhaps.

Can you tell me a little bit more about how the app crashed? e.g. what were you doing, what page were you on, type of connection e.t.c any information would help me drill down to the problem much quicker :)

Update: I managed to borrow a device running something not lollipop and it seems like the issue you mentioned seems to be happening throughout the app. Oh man this bites! I'll see what I can do about it @Llame

LIame

I do have a huawei but I'm really not well versed in phones and such so I can't really confirm anything about that jumble of letters and numbers.

about when and where, it seemed to happen after clicking on pretty much anything. sometimes it would go through though but only rarely. my connexion was first on 4g and later again at home on my wifi.

wax911

Thanks, that pretty much confirms it. I am going to add a download link for the previous version while I try to see what's going on with this current version on Pre-Lollipop Devices. By any chance might you still remember the last working version on your phone? 0.9.X or 0.8.5 I'll mention you as soon as I finish the upload

wax911

Good news, actually managed to track down the culprit. I'm just going to do a bit of testing to make sure nothing else breaks before I upload the new version

Lionirdeadman

I keep getting "Operating unsuccesful" relating to error 104 since it says I don't have anything in my list although I do.. My device is an LG G3 running Android 7.1.1 btw (although it will probably show up as Pixel something due to a build.prop thing I did for Google assistant).

P.S: The error says to add 'on' anime instead of 'one'.

Edit: Well, it works now.. Maybe it's because I've just made this account.

wax911

Hey Lionirdeadman, lol Oops typo there! sorry for the late reply. Anilist seems to take some hours to sync stuff through before certain changes are reflected on the app :) I should have stated that in the app XD I hope you like the app :)

Lionirdeadman

I love it! Thanks for making it :)

wax911

Thanks, it really means alot to me :)

Lionirdeadman

Btw, you should publish the source code on github or something so people can participate. And is there a plan to see all of an actor's roles? Like shown here for example : https://anilist.co/staff/95513/YuuichiNakamura

wax911

There are still a lot of features I still wish to add to AniTrend including the one you mentioned. I have been planning to make the source code available, which I will as soon as I clean up some code etc

Lionirdeadman

You could use github to set up to-do lists for each version, it'd give us a good idea of what to expect in the future.

wax911

I get where you're going with this, I have a repo with some items similar to the app description here. GitHub Repo Thanks for the suggestion though :) really appreciate the help!

Lionirdeadman

Will keep an eye on it :)