Shukofukurou - Native Mac App for AniList

chikorita157

Shukofukurou is a native Anime and Manga Library management application that supports AniList, which allows you to manage your libraries easily from your desktop. You can search and view title information, add new titles, import lists from different services and more.

Screenshots

We are open source and our Github repo can be viewed here.

Download

If you want to support our development of this App, you can download the full version with donor-exclusive features on the Mac App Store
Download on the Mac App Store

Current Version is 3.1 and requires macOS 10.10 Yosemite or later.

Want to test the next version of Shukofukurou? There is no prerelease version at the moment.

Note that some features like Manga List management, Profile and Character browser is reserved for people who donated to the project as a way to thank the user for supporting the project. These are features that are time consuming to implement. Moreover, the Apple Developer's Program is required to distribute applications such as code signing the application so it won't cause issues with GateKeeper and providing a Safari Extension. This costs $99 including tax and it's not free, even if you distribute open source application. Without the program, I won't be able to continue developing the application since there is no way to distribute it without causing hassles to the user with Gatekeeper.

These restrictions only apply to the official binary and not the source code, which is free as in freedom. You are free to compile from source if you want these features for free since it's open source. Note that you need to provide the OAuth client id and secret before compiling the application. Otherwise, authorization won't work. Also, you will be responsible for compiling the updates as well. If you find this difficult, just use the official version.

If you want to support this project, check out our donation page or support us on Patreon to find out how. For automatic list update feature based on what you are watching, check out Hachidori.

Current Features (AniList)

• Anime and Manga List Management with Custom List support
  • Ability to Search for titles and view Information on Anime and Manga
  • Season and Airing Browser
  • Ability to view character, cast and staff information from a title
  • Read reviews on a title
  • Import Lists from MyAnimeList, AniDB and Kitsu
  • Export lists to MyAnimeList XML
  • View List Statistics
  • View Profiles and Lists from other users.
24 Replies
chikorita157

Released the 6th Alpha of MAL Library. This should fix a bunch of bugs from the previous build. The first beta should be done in a few weeks.

Changelog;

New Features

• Add Support for importing MAL XML, AniDB XML and Kitsu anime lists into AniList.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements

• Tweaked how Manga types appear
  • Kitsu search results will no longer duplicate itself and properly show 40 search entries
  • Add missing Add Title Popover for Season and Airing views for AniList
  • Improved AniList <> Kitsu and AniList <> MAL Title ID conversion
  • Fix enabling/disabling of login and authorize button.
  • Kitsu logged in username will no longer erase itself when the user logs out of the AniList account
  • Fix crashes when user attempts to load a NSFW title and the application not properly loading the placeholder image.
  • Kitsu User id no longer loads the AniList User id
  • Use existing AniList APIs to retrieve AniList anime library to import
  • Add missing chapters info in title information view
  • Use large poster images for Kitsu in the Title Information view
  • Reset Profile Browser and Character Browser windows when they are closed
  • Close the List Statistics for a profile when the Profile Browser window is closed

Known Issues

• Character browser still using MyAnimeList data when Kitsu service is used. This is because the Character and Staff APIs are incomplete on Kitsu.
  • This release may use a lot of memory (up to 100mb). I am working on memory optimization in the next few release after the feature set freeze before Beta;
  • MAL Library Safari Extension does not fully work yet. It will work in the Beta
  • Other undiscovered bugs.
chikorita157

Beta 1 is now released. This fixes a bunch of bugs found in testing. Note that you can't upgrade directly to this build. You need to manually download it.

Also MAL Library is now renamed to Shukofukurou.

New Features

• Add Reset Mapping button to allow users to reset the Title ID Mappings
  • Add "Show 18+ Content" option in Preferences (not available in the Mac App Store version)
  • Start and End dates can now be set for AniList and Kitsu library entries

• Fix updating of volumes for AniList
  • Standardize subtypes for Kitsu and AniList
  • Replace toolbar icons and use icons provided by Icons8
  • Title columns will now automatically resize with the window
  • Hide background section in the Title Information view if there isn't any
  • Fix the button positions (Recommended Titles, Adaptations, Stream Information) in the Title Information View
  • AniList Authorization now works on macOS Yosemite and El Capitan.
  • Authorization Web View cookies will only clear on High Sierra or later.
  • Fix AniDB > Kitsu Importing
  • Added missing share items for AniList
  • Fix display of character names in the Character Browser for AniList
  • Fix crash when a title on AniList does not have a status specified. It will default to "not yet aired" or "not yet published."
  • The current view will not change besides History when the service is changed
  • Fix position of the score and status fields when an Anime entry is being edited.
  • Fixed UI not on main thread issue
  • Open in Shukofukurou (formerly Open in MAL Library) Safari Extension is now operable.
  • Updated help, removed screenshots and included third party open source licenses.

Known Issues

• Character browser still using MyAnimeList data when Kitsu service is used. This is because the Character and Staff APIs are incomplete on Kitsu.

@josh Can you put this on the AniList App list if you have the chance? Thanks

Josh
mod

Not making any changes to the current site but I'll make sure to add it to the apps page of the beta/new site :)

chikorita157

Thanks for the notice.

chikorita157

Shukofukurou finally went gold.

Changelog is below.

New Features

• Add AniList Support
  • Add Web toolbar icon in Title Information to allow users to view information about the title on different sites (AniDB, Anime News Network, Baka-Updates, Reddit, TVTropes, Pixiv Encyclopedia, and Wikipedia)
  • Add Advanced Edit Dialog to allow users to edit list-service specific fields, start and end dates, and change reconsuming status
  • Add "Show 18+ Content" option in Preferences (not available in the Mac App Store version)
  • Add Tip Jar menu item (only after registering) to collect voluntary donations to support the app's development. For Mac App Store users, he or she may leave a tip/donation via in-app purchase.

• Tweaked No Title View for Title Information and No Profile Loaded in the Profile Browser
  • Fixed memory leak with CocoaOniguruma framework
  • Show progress wheel indicating that a list is being synchronized/refreshed.
  • Reset Profile Browser and Character Browser windows when they are closed
  • Close the List Statistics for a profile when the Profile Browser window is closed
  • Replace toolbar icons and use icons provided by Icons8.
  • Title columns will now automatically resize with the window
  • Hide background section in the Title Information view if there isn't any
  • Fix the button positions (Recommended Titles, Adaptations, Stream Information) in the Title Information View
  • Open in Shukofukurou (formerly Open in MAL Library) Safari Extension is now operable.
  • Updated AFNetworking framework to 3.2.0
  • Various code improvements.
  • Updated help, removed screenshots and included third party open source licenses.
chikorita157

3.0.1 is released. Note that people who are migrating from MyAnimeList can import these lists into AniList by selecting Tools > Import List > Import MyAnimeList XML

Change log is below:

• Show message explaining MyAnimeList removal
  • Remove MyAnimeList Support (temporarily)
  • Fix MAL ID > AniList ID translation
TopoR

Hmm, after new update (maybe site update) app always force-quitting when I try to select AniList service.

chikorita157

Fix have been uploaded to the App Store and once it's ready for release, I will release the non-app store version. Null values are causing the program to crash. Sorry about that.

chikorita157

3.0.2 is released, which fixes the crashing issues. It should be on the Mac App Store by tomorrow since I submitted it and Apple doesn't review apps during the weekend.

You can install this update by checking for updates. If you can't update through the program, download the disk image from the first post.

• Fix crash when user refreshes a Kitsu list which have a title with no poster image.
  • Fix crash when user tries to load anime or manga lists or title information with no episode, duration or chapters/volumes, or synopsis
  • Fix crash when user refreshes an AniList list and have start and end dates missing either a year, month or day.
chikorita157

Shukofukurou 3.0.5 is now released!

This release adds two new features. Now, you can increment the episodes or chapters by one without having to open the Edit popover. Also, an AniList list to MyAnimeList XML converter have been added. While not all titles will export with this converter, you can import your AniList or Kitsu list to MyAnimeList if you plan to use MyAnimeList as a backup. Also, this file will also serve as a backup since both AniList and Kitsu support MyAnimeList XML imports. I know MyAnimeList XML is an ancient and bad export format, but it's the only thing we have.

To upgrade to this build, check for updates. The change log is below.

New Features

• You can easily increment episodes for Anime or chapters for Manga without opening the Edit Popover
  • Add ability to export converted MyAnimeList Anime or Manga XML lists

Bugfixes and Enhancements

• Include missing fields in MyAnimeList XML so they can be used with MyAnimeList, Kitsu or AniList MyAnimeList XML import.
  • Toolbar buttons in List View are disabled while a list update operation (Add/Update/Delete/Increment entries) is in progress.
chikorita157

3.0.7 is now released. It fixes a bunch of bugs and includes all the fixes from 3.0.6, which allows you to cancel the export operation and improves AniList > MyAnimeList XML Export.

To install this, check for updates. For Mac App Store users, you can update to this build right now.

• Improve conversion of AniList/Kitsu lists to MyAnimeList XML so it doesn't hang during conversion.
  • Add a cancel button in the progress window for Export to cancel the export operation.

• Fix numerous crashes for title information loading and importing
  • Fix bug where the incorrect search term appears after user views title information from search and switch back to the Search View.
Madoka03
Donator

I have buy the App at the Store. Is it possible to edit and view the number how often i rewatch a Anime with my Anilist Account? If i double click on a Anime in the list and choose advanced edit then the values in the textboxes not correct, for example first i have seen 24/24 episodes, the advanced edit window shows 13/24.

chikorita157

I have fixed all these issues with this commit. https://github.com/Atelier-Shiori/Shukofukurou/commit/dfff8334e04a1f4d4025922e2fb8c6683e7bc538

If you like for me to provide a test build (non-app store) to test to see if everything works, reply back and I will provide it. If it's okay, I will push it to the Mac App Store.

Test build: http://malupdaterosx.moe/shukofukurou-test.dmg

I have added an option for editing the repeat count.

Madoka03
Donator

I had searched the app in the store and bought it directly. I only noticed these two "problems" and wanted to ask, I didn't read any issues on GitHub. If there is a test version which offers the possibility to edit the number of times I have seen the anime and also the number of seen episodes are displayed correctly in the advanced edit window I like to test them.

http://malupdaterosx.moe/shukofukurou-test.dmg <- Is this the URL to download the test build with the bugfixes and new function?

Sorry for any mistakes in my posts, my English is anything but not good.

chikorita157

Yes, the link that you provided has all the fixes. This is the version outside of the App Store. I just want you to test it with Anime to see if it's okay before I submit it.

Madoka03
Donator

Ok I have installed the test build and will test it a bit, I haven't noticed any errors with the values that are displayed so far.
Unfortunately I apparently made a mistake during the installation, I simply removed the installation from the App Store and assumed I bought it and could reinstall it. The problem is only the App Store now shows me the purchase price again. :/

Edit: Ok it works. I have speak with the support from Apple and now i can reinstall the App from the Store later when the new version is available in the store.

chikorita157

3.0.8 is now released It fixes some bugs with the Advanced Edit and adds the ability to edit the repeats/rewatch/reconsume/reread count, which is a requested feature that was easy to implement. Also, the status bar will now display the name of the current service for users who use the same username for all services.

The change log is below and the update is now available on the Mac App Store and via software updates outside the App Store.

New Features

• Added ability to edit the reconsume/rewatch/reread count in Advanced Edit
  • The status bar will now show the current list service name

• Fix bug where the incorrect list entry status is loaded when a user opens the Advanced Edit dialog
  • List edit toolbar icons will disable when a list refresh is in progress.
Madoka03
Donator

Thanks for the update, i had no problems with the test build and the number of rewatch. Now i install the app directly from the app store.

What i think is helpful would be if I set a series to finished if directly also the number of seen episodes is set and I have to do this not individually.

chikorita157

FYI: The program will automatically set it to complete when you click the update button when the watched episodes or read chapters equal to the total episodes or chapter, except when the total episode or chapter is zero.

chikorita157

Shukofukurou 3.0.9 is now released. It provide a few fixes to the AniList > MyAnimeList XML Exporter. Also, the Season Browser now uses season data provided by AniList. Unlike the old system, you can view season data dating back to the 1990s.

You can update to this build via the Mac App Store or checking for updates. The change log is below.

New Features

• Use AniList Season Data for the Season Browser.
  • User can now view season data dating back to 1990 to the current year.
  • Show dialog at login notifying users how to switch between list services.

• AniList/Kitsu to MyAnimeList XML Exporter improvements.
chikorita157

We have finally started work on 3.1, which brings a bunch of improvements. First off, Shukofukurou will no longer reload the whole list if you update or delete an entry. This will reduce the need to reload the whole list, especially if it's big. Adding a new title or having the list refresh automatically will sync the local list with the one online. The transition from JSON flat files to CoreData will pave way to list syncing in the future. I plan to add Custom List support, but it will only be for donors since it will be tricky to implement. The backend updates will help us when we port the App after releasing 3.1.

Other planned features is changing the airing schedule source to use AniList instead of MyAnimeList scheduling. Also, I plan on adding episode airing notifications through the notification center somehow. Since this feature will take some work to implement, this will only be a donor only feature. Aside from these planned new features, most of the changes will be improvements. Shukofukurou 3.1 will ultimately require macOS El Capitan or later.

A sneak peek on Custom Lists support

chikorita157

After a first week, I decided to release a first prerelease build of Shukofukurou. There are still a bunch of things planned for the new release, which I haven't implemented yet. I just want feedback/bug testing as there are substantial changes on how lists are stored. In addition, converted list exports are now faster than ever.

People who donated or supported this project can now use the custom lists feature. You can view custom lists and add or remove entries from custom lists as well.

You can download the test build at GitHub. This release will run independently from the stable release. There is no migration for Mac App Store users, but it should be added in the next release for only test releases as 3.1 will be a free update for existing users once it's stable enough for release on the Mac App Store.

Change log is below.

New Features

• Custom List support for AniList (Donors only)

Bug Fixes and Improvements

• Faster list updates compared to the previous version. Shukofukurou will no longer retrieve the whole list with each list update besides adding new titles and automatic/manual list refreshing.
  • Converted List Exporting is now faster.
  • The list views will keep the same scroll position when an entry is updated or the list is refreshed.
  • Fix a potential bug if the MAL Title ID is null for an AniList title (e.g. does not exist on MAL)
chikorita157

The second Alpha release is now out which adds update_on_import options in Preferences and switches the Airing Browser to use AniList data. Note that if you use the Mac App Store version, the prerelease version will automatically migrate and you will have access to the Donor features.

Airing Notifications are being worked on next release.

You can install this release by checking for updates from the first Alpha. If you haven’t downloaded the prerelease builds yet, see the first post.. The change log is below.

New Features

• Add Update on Import options under Preferences for AniList/Kitsu to MyAnimeList XML exporting
  • Switched Air Schedule provider to AniList
  • On test builds, the Mac App Store version will automatically migrate and unlock donor features.
chikorita157

Shukofukurou 3.1 is now released with a bunch of improvements, including Custom Lists support for people who donated to the project. I am planning to use 3.1 as the basis to port the app to iOS. The iOS app will be open source.

The change log is below.

New Features

• Custom List support for AniList (Donors only)
  • Add Update on Import options under Preferences for AniList/Kitsu to MyAnimeList XML exporting
  • Switched Air Schedule provider to AniList
  • Add ability to register the app via Patreon (currently limited to one user/one mac)

Bug Fixes and Improvements

• Faster list updates compared to the previous version. Shukofukurou will no longer retrieve the whole list with each list update besides adding new titles and automatic/manual list refreshing.
  • Converted List Exporting is now faster.
  • The list views will keep the same scroll position when an entry is updated or the list is refreshed.
  • Fix a potential bug if the MAL Title ID is null for an AniList title (e.g. does not exist on MAL)
  • Shukofukurou will now save the last selected season in the Season Browser.